Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gladiator66

Old July 23rd, 2017, 04:00 PM
The 5E community files do not contain a shadow dragon or shadow dragon template. Therefore, I have been trying to create a shadow dragon template. I have it all working except for converting the dragon's breath weapon to shadow breath. My understanding is that I cannot remove a pick. Therefore, the existing breath weapon for the dragon cannot be removed. I have tried disabling it using the Helper.SpcDisable tag. However, it still displays on the race tab and in the statblock even though it has been disabled. Also, this does not cause it to turn gray on the race tab as is the case with Pathfinder in Hero Lab. I don't know of a way to replace sections of the existing breath weapon ability with the shadow breath verbiage because the name of the pick has already been set. Is there a way to change the name of the existing breath weapon pick? Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.
Gladiator66 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Gladiator66

Old July 23rd, 2017, 04:35 PM
I kept working at it and have been able to convert the name and text of the dragon's breath weapon over to the wording of the shadow breath ability for the shadow dragon. The only location where it still shows the name of the prior breath weapon (e.g. "fire breath") is on the race tab. The special tab, stat block, etc. all show the correct wording. Also, the original name of the breath weapon still shows up in the name of multiple tags, but those are not displayed.

If anyone knows how to change the name of the ability (i.e. breath weapon) on the race tab, I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks.
Gladiator66 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 23rd, 2017, 04:46 PM
This might help: https://github.com/Sklore/HL_DD_5e_C...ki/Name-Change

Or just play around with the sbName field.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 23rd, 2017, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator66 View Post
I kept working at it and have been able to convert the name and text of the dragon's breath weapon over to the wording of the shadow breath ability for the shadow dragon. The only location where it still shows the name of the prior breath weapon (e.g. "fire breath") is on the race tab. The special tab, stat block, etc. all show the correct wording. Also, the original name of the breath weapon still shows up in the name of multiple tags, but those are not displayed.

If anyone knows how to change the name of the ability (i.e. breath weapon) on the race tab, I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks.
Why do all this? Unless this is some Dragon Breath Weapon helper Thing why not just make your own Shadow Breath Weapon? Then you can 100% set all the values, text, and scripts yourself.

In the editor you could do a "New (Copy)" to make a duplicate and make all your changes. Then bootstrap this new breath weapon to your race.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 23rd, 2017, 05:18 PM
Quote:
The 5E community files do not contain a shadow dragon or shadow dragon template. Therefore, I have been trying to create a shadow dragon template. I have it all working except for converting the dragon's breath weapon to shadow breath. My understanding is that I cannot remove a pick. Therefore, the existing breath weapon for the dragon cannot be removed. I have tried disabling it using the Helper.SpcDisable tag. However, it still displays on the race tab and in the statblock even though it has been disabled. Also, this does not cause it to turn gray on the race tab as is the case with Pathfinder in Hero Lab. I don't know of a way to replace sections of the existing breath weapon ability with the shadow breath verbiage because the name of the pick has already been set. Is there a way to change the name of the existing breath weapon pick? Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.
Actually you should not be using Helper.SpcDisable as that is Pathfinder and won't work in 5e. In 5e all Picks use Helper.Disable instead. Give that a try and see if produces the results you want.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Gladiator66

Old July 23rd, 2017, 06:47 PM
Helper.Disable grayed the old breath weapon out, as desired. Since the old breath weapon is now disabled, I will pursue using creating Shadow Breath Weapon as a new pick, as ShadowChemosh proposed. I had already started down this path earlier before I came to the roadblock related to disabling the old breath weapon. Thanks for the assistance.
Gladiator66 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Gladiator66

Old July 23rd, 2017, 07:17 PM
The old breath weapon still shows up on the stat block even though it is disabled. Is there a way to keep it from displaying?
Gladiator66 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 23rd, 2017, 07:19 PM
Quote:
The old breath weapon still shows up on the stat block even though it is disabled. Is there a way to keep it from displaying?
It shouldn't print when disabled or at least I wouldn't think so.

Try adding the Hide.Special tag also. See if that totally makes it not display...

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Gladiator66

Old July 24th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
It shouldn't print when disabled or at least I wouldn't think so.

Try adding the Hide.Special tag also. See if that totally makes it not display...
The Hide.Special tag made it disappear from the Race tab, but it still shows up in the statblock.
Gladiator66 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote