Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ryntak4536

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I have a several questions:

a) To obtain my second 'free' license, do I do that through the "obtain secondary license" option? Or is that option to purchase the additional $10.00 license(s)?

b) Can I place these additional licenses purchased on my account on my player's laptops for them to use?

c) Regardless of the answer to b above, I'm not quite following the game data stuff. Once I get and activate my second license, I assume I still need to run the update on the new computer?

d) WIll I have to select what gaming system I wish it to run, or will that be linked to the license alredy because of it being a second license?

e) What about the Portfolio's I've built? Do I have to rebuild them for each of the other licenses I purchase? Can I simply export the portfolio and transfer it to the newly licensed computer? Can I export individual character's to be transferred to newly licensed computers?

f) What about the developed data? I'm referring to the powers/items/etc that I build in the Editor....can this be transferred to each of the additionally licensed computers?

THANKS EVERYONE!
ryntak4536 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 25th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryntak4536 View Post
e) What about the Portfolio's I've built? Do I have to rebuild them for each of the other licenses I purchase? Can I simply export the portfolio and transfer it to the newly licensed computer? Can I export individual character's to be transferred to newly licensed computers?
Characters are saved in the Portfolio folder inside of the HeroLab and can easily be transferred between different computers. My players send me their characters this way so that I have a copy of them.

Quote:
f) What about the developed data? I'm referring to the powers/items/etc that I build in the Editor....can this be transferred to each of the additionally licensed computers
These again are just files stored in the Data section of herolab and end in .user. These can easily be shared among players or the community. See the links in my sig for examples of them. If you have your own web server and can do a little in XML you can even have HL auto-download your house rules to your players. This is what I do and makes life for everyone so much simpler.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ryntak4536

Old August 25th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks Shadow!

You wouldn't happen to know the answers to the other questions would you?
ryntak4536 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old August 25th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Thanks Shadow!

You wouldn't happen to know the answers to the other questions would you?
Nope but one of the HL guys should be along to answer those.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old August 26th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I'm not a Lone Wolf employee, but I think I know the answers to these.

Quote:
a) To obtain my second 'free' license, do I do that through the "obtain secondary license" option? Or is that option to purchase the additional $10.00 license(s)?
It is used for the second license. Further ones are purchased in the License Administration Website.

Quote:
b) Can I place these additional licenses purchased on my account on my player's laptops for them to use?
They would be using your registration account to register their computers. *wry grin* Yeah, this means you have to trust your players with your licensing information. Technically speaking, secondary licenses are for your own use on different computers, but I think Lone Wolf knows they're often bought for gaming groups which is why there's an upper limit.

Quote:
c) Regardless of the answer to b above, I'm not quite following the game data stuff. Once I get and activate my second license, I assume I still need to run the update on the new computer?
They will still need to download the game data. But they will have access to all of the licensed systems on the primary account.

Quote:
d) WIll I have to select what gaming system I wish it to run, or will that be linked to the license alredy because of it being a second license?
The latter.

FWIW, answers primarily drawn from http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?co...page=licensing
Duggan is offline   #5 Reply With Quote