Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Joana

Old October 30th, 2010, 05:30 PM
This trait doesn't seem to be calculating properly. It seems to only be adding +1 to the selected skill (Disable Device) instead of +2.

EDIT: Or maybe it's not displaying at all, and it is including the + 1 from trapsense? Wish there was a breakdown available of how the skill totals are calculated and what's included....

Last edited by Joana; October 30th, 2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: further thought
Joana is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 30th, 2010, 09:26 PM
You only get the bonus when your Collection is within 5ft. As this means its situational you can find the ability to Activate the trait from the In-Play tab.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Joana

Old October 31st, 2010, 02:04 PM
Okay, thanks. So is the extra +1 coming from Trapsense? Because that's situational, too: If I'm using Disable Device to open a lock or sabotage a cart or something, it doesn't apply.
Joana is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old October 31st, 2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joana View Post
Okay, thanks. So is the extra +1 coming from Trapsense? Because that's situational, too: If I'm using Disable Device to open a lock or sabotage a cart or something, it doesn't apply.
Think so. Trapsense gives a bonus to your AC and reflex saves only against traps.

So this will show up on the "Special" tab from third level on. It also shows under the "Special Abilities" on the printed sheet. In this case as its situational only to traps and so its totally up to the player to remember to add that bonus in.

Hmm think you meant "Trapfinding"? Though the same applies to its location and use.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 1st, 2010, 08:29 AM
Trapfinding:

"A Rogue adds 1/2 her level to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks..."

The perception bonus is situational, but the disable device bonus is always active (so it's applied by HL).
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 1st, 2010, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Trapfinding:

"A Rogue adds 1/2 her level to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks..."

The perception bonus is situational, but the disable device bonus is always active (so it's applied by HL).
Uh really I would not expect the bonus to be applied to Disable Device as it only applies to traps not to open locks or disabling a wagon wheel.

Hmm so just re-read the rule and I guess one could read it EXACTLY and take it to mean the bonus to Disable is for all checks. Though have to say RAI that the intent is ONLY for traps not for every disable device skill check.

This means my Rogue player has been getting it double. Once from HL and another when she adds it back in manually.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 1st, 2010, 10:01 AM
If they meant for both to be situational, I think they'd have written "to her Perception and skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks to disarm or bypass traps."
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 1st, 2010, 10:53 AM
I agree and not at the same time only in that the wording Paizo uses for ALLOT of stuff is pretty open ended. Its just a difference of Rules As Written and Rules As Intended. With everything I have seen with how Paizo writes stuff its better to use RAI is all. I will keep an eye open for an official stance.

Not a big deal as its an easy fix I can add to my house rules file.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Shayd3000

Old November 2nd, 2010, 04:28 AM
The issue here is that we cannot expect Mathias to interpret all the rules so that he can guess at what what intended. Mathias has to use the rules as written and be very specific about it because he can't know the intention of the writers, only what they said specifically. Since he is coding an application that is supposed to enable what is written in the books he has to take the rules as written.

Ug, this is coming out way too wordy. I'm trying to say Mathias does not have the luxury of interpreting the rules for us - he has to take what is available and hope the authors were skilled enough to state what they intended. Not everyone will interpret the rules and what was intended the same way, Mathias is safest by remaining as literal as he can.

George

Member: Amorphous Blob Games
Shayd3000 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:20 AM
Yea agreed and you are correct Shayd3000. Which is why I said if taken RAW how he has it coded is correct and that I will keep an eye open for the FAQ/Errata that will eventually fix the wording.

Also its SUPER easy for me to fix the issue myself for my own rule set that my players use. This is the main reason I like HL as when these type of things come up its a 5 minute fix to not have the bonus go into Disable Device.

I guess I was just showing my frustration with the wording that Paizo uses for their rules. Also James Jacobs latest posts that are all about each GM should be interpreting the rules differently is really getting under my skin. If we are just suppose to GUESS what the rules are why even print the rules.

So my slight showing of frustration was NOT toward Mathais or HL, but actually towards Paizo.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote