Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Polecat

Old June 16th, 2015, 03:44 AM
Hello Guys,
I was looking for use herolab to create my own game system, but I've tried four times now and I cannot find a way of getting around all the sample information forced on me. I tried going into the data files and deleting stuff related to the Sample and default Strength attributes, but I keep getting syntax errors and a bunch of other stuff which was a real pain in the ass.

Can anyone help me start this thing with a blank slate so I am not forced to dance around the Sample stuff?
Polecat is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 17th, 2015, 08:37 AM
The skeleton files are as much of a blank slate as it can get - there needs to be at least one attribute, or the lack of attributes would cause other problems.

If you get an error message in Hero Lab, you can right-click it and copy it, and then paste the message here. Once I know what errors you're getting, I can help you figure out what's going wrong, and figure out how to fix it.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old June 17th, 2015, 11:09 AM
What you call "dancing around the sample stuff", I call "customising the sample stuff".

It is much easier to work from the samples than from a clean slate.
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Polecat

Old June 19th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I kind of see what was going on here.

I just think differently I suppose. I would rather start from nothing and learn the steps and implement them as I go. Its not that I didn't want to use attributes or anything like that. It was that I didn't want necessary functions linked to them. So when I removed the "Sample" attribute everything crashed and I couldn't work within the Editor anymore -- since that is my proffered method as it helps me keep track of the changes, additions, and modifications more easily.

I'm going to stick to developing the system on paper, then when its done I will see if I can hire someone here to just implement the mechanics I've written. I'm not overly thrilled on the idea of learning new code, but I would be willing to learn if there were instructional videos. I understand the basics, but implementing them and the language is still a bit hit and miss.

P.S.: I Understand having the sample Author Kit (and it was appreciated) but when starting a new project, I expected to be able to start fresh. It just felt counter intuitive (to me) that I couldn't just do a ton of data entry then throw in the code after the fact since that is my first instinct.

Last edited by Polecat; June 19th, 2015 at 09:37 AM.
Polecat is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old June 19th, 2015, 10:12 AM
You have to have at least some of the code for your components/compsets before you can even consider data entry. Really if you just want data entry. Create a new system. Leave everything intact as is. Create your new components/Compsets, create your editor tabs and go from there. Then you can go bad back do mechanics later, but really it'll be a lot more work that way.
AndrewD2 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 19th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
P.S.: I Understand having the sample Author Kit (and it was appreciated) but when starting a new project, I expected to be able to start fresh. It just felt counter intuitive (to me) that I couldn't just do a ton of data entry then throw in the code after the fact since that is my first instinct.
I get your example but that is like when building a house you wanted to start with the Roof and bedrooms before you had the foundation even dug.

With the Authoring kit you need to think from the VERY foundation first. So if you don't have a solid foundation you can't even build the walls or rooms of the house.

That is why the Authoring kit comes with a sample to start with. You are getting a very basic basement with the concrete pored. And the very basic skeletal wood outline of the house. No pipes or wiring or even walls are in place yet. But you have the "VERY" basic structure to work from and HL will actually start up.

Without that even basic structure HL will not even start up as it needs at least a basic foundation to work from.

My attempt using a house to explain the Authoring Kit.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Polecat

Old June 19th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I get your example but that is like when building a house you wanted to start with the Roof and bedrooms before you had the foundation even dug.

With the Authoring kit you need to think from the VERY foundation first. So if you don't have a solid foundation you can't even build the walls or rooms of the house.

That is why the Authoring kit comes with a sample to start with. You are getting a very basic basement with the concrete pored. And the very basic skeletal wood outline of the house. No pipes or wiring or even walls are in place yet. But you have the "VERY" basic structure to work from and HL will actually start up.

Without that even basic structure HL will not even start up as it needs at least a basic foundation to work from.

My attempt using a house to explain the Authoring Kit.
Maybe I should explain, I have tons of it already finished, its just typed up in Word and on random hand written notes. I have a system and I know what I want to do. I just wanted to convert what I had to the builder, then apply the mechanical effects.

For example, I know there is a strength attribute. I know strength gives you damage, lift, and a stat called pressure (which is basically how much force you can apply for holding a door closed or pushing/pulling). I also know the equations for those substats which draw from Strength.

Its just, I didn't want to code the math in. I'd rather just set all the parameters Ive got (essentially building the skeleton), then when the bones of the system are down in the maker go back to the beginning and input the mechanics.

It might seem ass backwards, but its just easier for me to keep track of. I already know what everything is and is supposed to do and how its supposed to work and interact.

Character Gen Sample.

Last edited by Polecat; June 19th, 2015 at 12:43 PM.
Polecat is offline   #7 Reply With Quote