Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Magus View Post
Mild bug: one of the files is named "PFRG_Carrion_Crown_AP.user".

Works fine, mind you, but if a well-intentioned user were to rename it "correctly", and update to a later version, it would effectively duplicate the file.
Sort of why I don't change it actually as it means I would have to put in a "Delete" then of the file named "PFRG" otherwise gamers upgrading would get hit with Duplicate Thing errors. I really try and do do as little "Delete" of files as I can as I am always nervous about removing files from peoples systems.

So as it does not really hurt anything I have just left the incorrect name for now....

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #181
ShadowChemosh

Old September 10th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseelie View Post
I haven't had a chance to go through in detail and see exactly which files have mistakes, but I see a number of issues if I enable the community bestiary and the other community sources. I apologize if some of these are not actually CB issues...

1) Lots and lots of duplicates, both in the races, and in templates. For example, there are two copies of the Dread <undead> templates.
Yes I know. I have asked the editors to NOT duplicate the same stuff but they really don't seem to have time to double check. So we have some monsters that are listed 4 times now. The issue I have is "who's" do I delete? When I have just done some "adjustments" before some editors have been a little upset. I understand as they put hard work into something and who I am "I" to change/adjust their stuff?

Next thing is removing "Things" can cause some weird issues. Especially as what if a person has created special version of a undead using "Dread" template and used version B not version A. If I delete Version B their .por files are now totally busted. how *happy* they going to be about that?

I really have no good idea how to solve these issues right now....

Quote:
1a) Most of the time, the details are identical, but there are a few where the two entries vary. An example of that would be the Bombardier Beetle. Did they come from two different sources with different stats?
Most likely they where done by different editors at the same time. As noted above I am not sure how to solve this right now. I am nervous about "pissing" editors off as they do this all for "FREE".

Quote:
2) Speaking of not being able to track it down. The Beholder is somewhere in one of my data files. Can someone confirm that it's just me, or did WOTC PD end up in one of the data files?
I don't remember seeing Beholder but I will look. If I find it will have to delete it as its not OGL and very copy righted. As far as I know the only thing close is the "Eye Tyrant" or something like that from a 3PP.

Quote:
3) Can we standardize on "Appears in" in the description of the race? Some entries have them and other entries do not.
I would love to be able to do this. The problem here is that this should be done by a central person say myself. The logistics problem of me doing this is huge. I make the changes to dozen monsters in 6 different .user files. Another editor is making changes also to some of the same files as they maybe files with their names on it even. Then trying to merge the data from their changed .user files with my changed .user file is a NIGHTMARE. I found a tool that can do a compare of differences at the XML level but its $300 bucks for the software. I love doing this but not $300 bucks worth.

If someone knows a Cheaper or free version that could help. The problem is still takes allot of time to then see what the differences are and copy/paste just pieces of XML from one document to another.

Now if this works I have created really a 3rd version of the .user file that now contains both my changes and the editors changes. Do to the time to do this to a dozen files 2 weeks have gone by. I release this new version. The Editor has been moving forward with NEW changes based on his "older" version. Then he submits his now "totally" outdated version of the .user file that has to be merged in with pieces again.

I think I got a little off point but that is the reason I don't do it. I can setup a set of standards and "ask" editors to follow them but if they don't they don't.

Quote:
4) A number of entries like 'Portal Golem', rather than 'Golem, Portal.'
See above same thing.

Quote:
5) This may be more of a philosophical issue, but there are a number of specific NPCs in the community bestiary. For example, Xulthos from the Legacy of Fire AP. He's a modified Glomeray Daemon, which is also in the bestiary... shouldn't NPCs like that be done via .por files?
Here you getting into the history of things. LoF is very old and no Bestiary existed at that time I don't think. So either A) the editor didn't know Bestiary had it or didn't even own the Bestiary data package B) the Bestiary data set came out after this was created or C) the editor felt at the time that even if you didn't have the Bestiary you should still have access to Xulthos.

Either way its their and see above for why I don't remove it.

Quote:
6) The text for the Ghast reads that Ghasts are Ghouls with the advanced monster template. If that's the case, why do they have an entry? Why not just apply the advanced monster template to Ghouls?
Ghasts where not templates in 3.5 so I am 99% sure these came from the original Rise of the Runelords AP or from a 3PP. So again what you dealing with is what version is the Ghast from and you can't assume its the latest rules from Pathfinder.

Their is allot of history to monsters.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; September 10th, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #182
Unseelie

Old September 10th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Yes I know. I have asked the editors to NOT duplicate the same stuff but they really don't seem to have time to double check. So we have some monsters that are listed 4 times now. The issue I have is "who's" do I delete? When I have just done some "adjustments" before some editors have been a little upset. I understand as they put hard work into something and who I am "I" to change/adjust their stuff?

Next thing is removing "Things" can cause some weird issues. Especially as what if a person has created special version of a undead using "Dread" template and used version B not version A. If I delete Version B their .por files are now totally busted. how *happy* they going to be about that?

I really have no good idea how to solve these issues right now....
That's totally fair, and I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. I know this has to be a pain to try and coordinate. That said, I worry a little bit because this seems like an issue that will only get worse over time.

Quote:
I don't remember seeing Beholder but I will look. If I find it will have to delete it as its not OGL and very copy righted. As far as I know the only thing close is the "Eye Tyrant" or something like that from a 3PP.
I'll keep trying to isolate it and see if I can figure out where it came from as well. Since this is a clean install of the Mac version of Hero Lab, I am reasonably sure that it's not some random file I installed.

Quote:
I would love to be able to do this. The problem here is that this should be done by a central person say myself. The logistics problem of me doing this is huge. I make the changes to dozen monsters in 6 different .user files. Another editor is making changes also to some of the same files as they maybe files with their names on it even. Then trying to merge the data from their changed .user files with my changed .user file is a NIGHTMARE. I found a tool that can do a compare of differences at the XML level but its $300 bucks for the software. I love doing this but not $300 bucks worth.

If someone knows a Cheaper or free version that could help. The problem is still takes allot of time to then see what the differences are and copy/paste just pieces of XML from one document to another.
Hell... I'd donate towards that if it would make your 'job' easier and the final result better. Assuming it wouldn't cause problems with Lone Wolf, maybe a paypal donation button?

Quote:
I think I got a little off point but that is the reason I don't do it. I can setup a set of standards and "ask" editors to follow them but if they don't they don't.
Standards are good. That's why we have so many of them.
Unseelie is offline   #183
ShadowChemosh

Old September 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Quote:
That's totally fair, and I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. I know this has to be a pain to try and coordinate. That said, I worry a little bit because this seems like an issue that will only get worse over time.
Its no problem at all and I figured you where not complaining. Its nice in many ways to get feed back as it means people are using this data set.

I have actually seen people posting about the CB on the paizo boards so word of it is spreading. It does mean some "clean" up work is really needed to standardize the data set. Hmmm things to think about...

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #184
blzbob

Old September 10th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Let me put this out there, if you feel the need to change my work to better fit the community, go right ahead. I have no problems with it at all.
blzbob is offline   #185
bodrin

Old September 10th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blzbob View Post
Let me put this out there, if you feel the need to change my work to better fit the community, go right ahead. I have no problems with it at all.
Ditto. Feel free to edit / replace as you see fit.

Heck you maintain the dataset from goodwill alone. I for one wouldn't have the time to update / edit / upload and continue with the day job.

If the functionality is maintained and a standard naming / data convention is employed by removing / replacing duplicates then it should create a better end user experience for all to see. As long as the authors are credited and the change log is updated it shouldn't matter.

Perhaps drafting a few community data input submission guidelines, with the collaboration of the authors, and getting a sticky post upon the boards for everyone's perusal at this juncture would be beneficial for all.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

bodrin is offline   #186
Lord Magus

Old September 11th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post

Heck you maintain the dataset from goodwill alone. I for one wouldn't have the time to update / edit / upload and continue with the day job.

(...) As long as the authors are credited and the change log is updated it shouldn't matter.(...)
My opinion too. Feel free to edit/replace the few things I have contributed!
Lord Magus is offline   #187
ShadowChemosh

Old September 11th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Awesome thanks guys.

My only plan I can think off is after the next release to do a sort of Half-Freeze where no changes will be put in only NEW things in New .user files. This would give me the chance to spend a few weeks sorting and changing everything. I am still nervous about removing stuff but I think I have an idea on how to fix or allow a fall back maybe without breaking all the .por files.

See if I can cut out some time to do something like this.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #188
CorzatTheGray

Old September 12th, 2012, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post

If the functionality is maintained and a standard naming / data convention is employed by removing / replacing duplicates then it should create a better end user experience for all to see. As long as the authors are credited and the change log is updated it shouldn't matter.

Perhaps drafting a few community data input submission guidelines, with the collaboration of the authors, and getting a sticky post upon the boards for everyone's perusal at this juncture would be beneficial for all.
+1
The CB is definitely appreciated and in my opinion, if the end result is better for the community then all the better to set the standards and adjust as needed.

All the hard work of all the contributors is GREATLY appreciated, and I don't think anyone would/should fault your hardwork, Shadow, in compiling it all if you took the liberty to set and adjust to a standard for the betterment of the CB and all the Datasets that you maintain.
CorzatTheGray is offline   #189
Unseelie

Old September 12th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Awesome thanks guys.

My only plan I can think off is after the next release to do a sort of Half-Freeze where no changes will be put in only NEW things in New .user files. This would give me the chance to spend a few weeks sorting and changing everything. I am still nervous about removing stuff but I think I have an idea on how to fix or allow a fall back maybe without breaking all the .por files.

See if I can cut out some time to do something like this.
I was thinking... I know you said previously (due to a misnamed file) that you try to avoid deletes. In a case like that one, couldn't you introduce a new, properly named, file and make use of replace thing? At least, I think it's replace thing... what lets you say "use this version instead of the existing one."
Unseelie is offline   #190
Closed Thread