Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Sarai

Old January 25th, 2015, 11:35 AM
So, I open my Realm and start going through topics, checking specific details. Then, for some reason, I click on a topic and RW takes longer to open it. And just like than, RW closes down. It doesn't even give me an error warning or whatever, it just vanishes.

Twice already, I've clicked on a topic then went over to another software, and when I want to go back to RW, it's gone.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on?
Sarai is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 25th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Is it the same topic that crashes or does it happen randomly?
Can you make it happen repeatedly on the same topic?
Does it happen after being in RW for a certain amount of time?
Does it only happen when you switch out to another program?
Does it only happen when you switch out to a specific program?
Does it happen in other realms you have created?
Have you filed a bug report via http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks/report-bug/ ?
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Sarai

Old January 25th, 2015, 02:33 PM
I've just sent a bug report. I was checking if someone else had had a similar problem first. The last time I caught a bug was, like, five minutes before there was a patch out.

> Is it the same topic that crashes or does it happen randomly?
Mostly character topics (a category created by me, to be adjusted to the way I think of my characters for novels).

> Can you make it happen repeatedly on the same topic?
If it's the first or second topic I call up after opening RW, it never crashes. Only if it's the third or more topic I'm trying to call up.

> The earliest I've checked was 5-10 min. after opening RW; the latest was 30-45 min.. But I was writing, so I only went to RW when I needed to check physical descriptions and ages, which means there were periods of 15-20 minutes while I was writing when RW was waiting in the back, unused. Actually, the first times it vanished, I only noticed when I needed to check more details and the icon wasn't in the taskbar.

> No. It can happen when I'm on another program or when I'm on RW.

> Not sure. I was using mostly Word Office, but I skipped over to Gramps and Labyrinth a few times, so I can't be sure. But if I go over to one of them and come back, once or twice in a row, it doesn't do anything. Well, RW did look strange once (all greyish with white boxes where some of the icons, buttons or links ought to be) but it quickly went back to normal.

I've just switched through a few character topics and, although RW didn't crash, the left panel became empty with a message similar to 'filter can't find anything'. It was a quick thing so I didn't quite memorise it. It doesn't usually say that.

I've called it up again (like two minutes later) and it was all grey, just a black square at the top left corner, a white rectangle where the right side panel ought to be and a couple white streaks where the central panel should meet with the menu area. A few seconds later the normal text and icons reappeared, bit by bit.

> At the moment I'm only using one.

P.S.: I said I created a category for my writing's characters. It's a rather long category - 12 sections with 14 sub-sections through them - and it usually takes a few seconds to load, so I don't worry too much about waiting time (I know the team are working on making RW faster), even because I've already got used to it. But before RW vanishes, the topics started taking longer to load.
Sarai is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 25th, 2015, 03:59 PM
All very good info for the devs to work with. That'll help them better understand where the problem may really be happening. The best bugs are those that you can repeat over and over because they can then isolate what is happening.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll hear from them very soon. If not within the next few days, check your spam filter as some ISPs (and google mail) tend to regard LoneWolf auto-responses as spam.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sarai

Old January 26th, 2015, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the questions. They did help me organise my head about what details I should give and some quick testing on my own for more precise info.
Sarai is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 26th, 2015, 02:02 PM
My pleasure. I think my questioning was probably due to my time on various beta teams and constantly being asked for more details. As a result, I'm always trying to improve my bug reports (and feature requests). I figure that if I can give the devs something solid they can work with, there's a much greater chance it'll get fixed (or added).
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 26th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Is it the same topic that crashes or does it happen randomly?
Can you make it happen repeatedly on the same topic?
Have you filed a bug report via http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks/report-bug/ ?
You make this a little more generic and it would make a great forum "signature".

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old January 31st, 2015, 06:01 AM
Nicely done Aeiou
weogarth is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 31st, 2015, 10:27 AM
@ShadowChemosh: I fear that if I make that sig, it's a step along the journey to becoming a responsible forum member like you.

It is a good idea though....
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 31st, 2015, 12:49 PM
Lists like that are too long for signatures. They belong in an actual post on the website or as part of a collected "How to ask for support" sticky.

(And definitely collected, as we could use less stickies on this forum.)

Parody is offline   #10 Reply With Quote