Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

chiefweasel

Old September 14th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Wow, I'm really not sure you are usign the product correctly then. I use HL for GMing Pathfinder and create monster encounters and use the tactical dashboard to track all the combats. I havent had an issue yet. I dont want to sound harsh but i think you are missing the intent and power of the HL product.

I'm not sure why you want to print everything either. There is no way to create an output that would display every option that a character could do. You said it doesnt display 2 handed weapons, but if you print the character and then he changes weapons, none of the attacks or stats would be correct. I really think HL is designed to be used as you play, that is in a non-print format. Its flexability is that any change to a character can be instantly cascaded thoughout the character. Any any monster in the book can be instantly displayed and intergated into a combat.

As for size modifiers, they are already included in the AC for the monster, they always have been, even in D&D. So you dont include it as a special on the character.

I think you might want to reevaluate why you want to use software to create a character in the first place. It sounds like you want to use pencil and paper.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old September 14th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefweasel View Post
Wow, I'm really not sure you are usign the product correctly then. I use HL for GMing Pathfinder and create monster encounters and use the tactical dashboard to track all the combats. I havent had an issue yet. I dont want to sound harsh but i think you are missing the intent and power of the HL product.
I do not use the Tactical Dashboard, I print out everything, because I do not wish to have a Lap top or PC at my gaming table, personal preference. Even if I did, it would not change the fact the majority of the stats in the bestiary are incorrect.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you want to print everything either. There is no way to create an output that would display every option that a character could do. You said it doesnt display 2 handed weapons, but if you print the character and then he changes weapons, none of the attacks or stats would be correct. I really think HL is designed to be used as you play, that is in a non-print format. Its flexability is that any change to a character can be instantly cascaded thoughout the character. Any any monster in the book can be instantly displayed and intergated into a combat.
huh?... I am not sure what you are saying here. What the print out should put out, is the attack for using the weapon as a two-weapon, and as using it as one weapon. right now it just prints out as one weapon.

Quote:
As for size modifiers, they are already included in the AC for the monster, they always have been, even in D&D. So you dont include it as a special on the character.
I am not talking about AC, the AC stat block is correct, I am talking about the Base Attack stat block. Hero Labs includes size modifier into the Base Attack stats block, which is incorrect, yes it should be included over all, but that goes into the weapon stat, not the Base attack Stat. The Base Attack stat is just that, The Base Attack based on either HD or Level.

Quote:
I think you might want to reevaluate why you want to use software to create a character in the first place. It sounds like you want to use pencil and paper.
My use of HeroLabs which I am sure is the use of the majority of users for it, is to build character/NPCs and Creatures. It works very well for Characters *except for the errors above I mentioned*, but terrible with NPCs and Creatures, due to the many errors in the stats that They inputed, which I am unsure why there are so many. I know some are related due to the program itself in it lack of capability of doing the prober stats, some are just mis inputs. I am more worried about the ones due to lack of capabilities, if those issues are not addressed, then this software is useless because at that point I might as well just do it myself, which is what I am mostly doing now.

I want to be able to use the program to make the creatures correctly based on the game I am using and not have to worry about doing all the math myself, right now I can't do that because of the many mistakes/errors/lack of capability, Basically I have to recheck everything I make because of my lack of trust in the program, and every creature or NPC I have made has been incorrect.

Edit: Just so I am not just shitting on HeroLabs, many of these issues only came to the forefront recently, because I started GMing, before that I just used the program as a Character Generator for Pathfinder Society, for that the program mostly works just fine.

Last edited by Dragnmoon; September 14th, 2010 at 03:00 PM.
Dragnmoon is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 14th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnmoon View Post
huh?... I am not sure what you are saying here. What the print out should put out, is the attack for using the weapon as a two-weapon, and as using it as one weapon. right now it just prints out as one weapon.
In the Configure Your Hero window at the very bottom is Out-put options. One of these is "Always Show TWF" or something to that wording. Then it shows the information for each weapon for if it was wielded for TWF or one-handed.

Seems to work for the Double Axe wielding character one of my players has anyways.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old September 14th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
In the Configure Your Hero window at the very bottom is Out-put options. One of these is "Always Show TWF" or something to that wording. Then it shows the information for each weapon for if it was wielded for TWF or one-handed.

Seems to work for the Double Axe wielding character one of my players has anyways.

Thanks will take a look..

Edit: The output in that needs to be tweaked, it is ugly as is. And thanks for pointed it out, I also found how I can get rid of Unarmed attack always being there.

Last edited by Dragnmoon; September 14th, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
Dragnmoon is offline   #44 Reply With Quote