Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Esenjay

Old April 22nd, 2015, 12:34 PM
Greetings all:

I am working on the plot point entries for a campaign. When I create a new plot point, there are three data entry fields and one associated content link.

I am wondering, why is there a block for both the description and GM directions? It seems to me that neither is revealable to the players, at least I tried in player view and was unsuccessful. I did read the manual...

I was going to use the description block to remind / reveal plot point data to the players. This was for events that were not quite significant enough for an event creation, but needed some details. Is there a way to reveal the description to the players? If not, again, why the separate GM block?

Also, are you able to link only one item of associated content for plot points?

Thanks for the help,

Esenjay
Esenjay is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Esenjay

Old April 22nd, 2015, 01:13 PM
Is there a way to create an Event entry directly from the storyboard section. I thought that it would be nice to generate an event as I diagrammed the story, rather than jumping back and forth and associating the content after the two different entries are inserted.
Esenjay is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 22nd, 2015, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esenjay View Post
I am wondering, why is there a block for both the description and GM directions? It seems to me that neither is revealable to the players, at least I tried in player view and was unsuccessful. I did read the manual...
If the Plot Point is revealed, players using the Player version of Realm Works can see the Description. That's why they added the GM Directions block: so you could have text that isn't revealed to the players.

The description is not viewable in Player View as far as I know.

Quote:
Also, are you able to link only one item of associated content for plot points?
Yes, there's only room for one.

Quote:
Is there a way to create an Event entry directly from the storyboard section.
When you click on the button to associate content with the plot point, you can click the "+" buttons next to the headers to create a new Topic/Article.

Parody is online now   #3 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old April 22nd, 2015, 03:01 PM
Hi!

I dont think that there is a direct way, however the fastest one is CTRL + Q (quick create topic) and choose "create in new tab edit edit edit.... Then Add the plotpoint

As far as I know the notes will be visible for revealed topics if you use the player edition. Maybe the player mode preview, does not show properly?

Regarding the notes & text some players requested GM notes and it is good to offer that possibility in my opinon.

Currently only one link is possible per point.

But maybe someone else has more insight

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Esenjay

Old April 22nd, 2015, 03:14 PM
Parody,

Thank you. You answered all my questions with clear, unambiguous instructions. I appreciate it very much.

Esenjay
Esenjay is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 27th, 2015, 12:22 PM
The assumption is that, if you want to associate a plot point with multiple topics, you'll typically be best served by encapsulating all those topics within a Storyline topic. You can then associate that one storyline topic with the plot point. That's how we do it for all the published content we're putting into place, and it works well.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Esenjay

Old April 27th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Hey Rob,

Yes that does help. How do you handle this when there is an over-arching character or location that spans multiple story arcs? Meaning, would I then have to create the person or place within that storyline tree for organization sake?

Also, what is the trigger for creating a sub-plot point arc within a plot point structure?

Thanks again,

Esenjay
Esenjay is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 27th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Individual characters would normally be created just as topics, not within any container organisation.

When they are mentioned in other topics, a link will automatically be created to the character's topic so you can quickly get to that information from the referencing topic.
Farling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 28th, 2015, 02:12 AM
Put the NPC wherever it makes the most sense. For example, let's use Rise of the Runelords...

The NPC Kendra Deverin appears in Sandpoint at multiple points throughout different chapters of the AP, so I'd create a Cast List topic named "Sandpoint Cast" and make that her container.

The NPC Aldern Foxglove appears in different places throughout various chapters, so I'd create a Cast List topic named "Rise of the Runelords Cast" and make that his container.

The NPC Lyrie Akenja appears solely within Level One of the Thistletop Dungeon, so I'd make that Adventure Area topic her container.

The NPC Ripnugget appears within the region surrounding Thistletop, so I'd make that Adventure Area his container.

If an NPC is only ever encountered within a single location (e.g. the owner of the inn), and that NPC is minor to the story, I'd make that NPC part of the location.

[Edit: You could just as easily assign an NPC as a child of a Storyline topic if that makes the most sense. For example, if you have a small quest that an NPC factors into prominently, and the sole function of the NPC is within that Storyline, it makes perfect sense to place the NPC there.]

The objective is to place the NPC as close to where it appears within the story. If it appears in a very localized place, put it there. If it appears in multiple places, it needs to be more generally accessible.

This, of course, is how *I* would do it. The one thing that's most important is to do it however makes the most sense to *YOU*. Realm Works gives you extreme flexibility, which is sometimes a burden of choice. Figure out what feels right to you and then try it. You can always change your mind later and move things around. You can also start with an NPC in a localized spot and move him later if you decide to flesh out the story and make the NPC more central - or if your PCs make that decision for you by coming up some out-of-leftfield idea that you never anticipated. PCs NEVER do stuff like that, right?

Hope this helps!

Last edited by rob; April 28th, 2015 at 02:15 AM.
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 28th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
This, of course, is how *I* would do it. The one thing that's most important is to do it however makes the most sense to *YOU*. Realm Works gives you extreme flexibility, which is sometimes a burden of choice. Figure out what feels right to you and then try it.
This is why I like RW because how you just described NPCs and container I tried and hated it. Now I just keep the NPCs all listed together under People. I find it much easier to find them that way and if I need to know where they are located it has links to any location that references them. Then I use relationships for tracking to Guilds or for Skull and Shackles which ship they are crew of.

That works best for myself when during the game a player asks for info about a NPC and I need to locate it. As good chance I don't remember which "container" the NPC is in and just want to find the NPC by its name.

That flexibility of letting me use the software that works for "me" is so nice as many software tools try and force me into a set "way".

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote