Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Acenoid

Old February 15th, 2015, 03:03 AM
One more point of notice LWD staff seems to be pretty responsive, even after their release providing fixes.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old February 15th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Several good points being made. Friday is rough for releases due to games scheduled. However, I could have waited to update until today, but got excited about the release and gambled. Also, LW had been predicting a release for two weeks, and had already pushed it back a week. If they had missed the release for another week even more people would have been disappointed. All in all, I'm happy with the speedy fix LW got in place.
meek75 is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 15th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
The problem is in the past with RW, it has sometimes "forced" an update (unable to sync without updating). With something like HeroLab, you can choose to wait (I always do), but RealmsWorks hasnt always allowed that.
I don't believe we have ever had a release that was forced as in you HAD to grab it when available. We have had releases where you cannot login or sync to the server without upgrading, but you still have the option of holding off on that release and working offline. For this last release, we also put in a warning that you must login if you proceed with the upgrade during the installation, so you had another chance to back off on installing, if you had a game coming up.
davidp is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 15th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
I don't believe we have ever had a release that was forced as in you HAD to grab it when available. We have had releases where you cannot login or sync to the server without upgrading, but you still have the option of holding off on that release and working offline. For this last release, we also put in a warning that you must login if you proceed with the upgrade during the installation, so you had another chance to back off on installing, if you had a game coming up.
I think what he is trying to say that some of versions prevent sync until you upgrade and that makes it feel like you are being forced. One of the important features of RW is the the Cloud as I build on one PC and DM on my laptop. So to get to my "data" that is in the cloud I have to update my laptop on game day to get to that data.

P.S I never meant to infer in any way RW support is not great. Just that I think people should get there weekends. That time away to recharge is very important for techies and so I was saying that the LW crew deserve weekends doing none RW related stuff.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; February 15th, 2015 at 02:44 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 15th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I think what he is trying to say that some of versions prevent sync until you upgrade and that makes it feel like you are being forced. One of the important features of RW is the the Cloud as I build on one PC and DM on my laptop. So to get to my "data" that is in the cloud I have to update my laptop on game day to get to that data.

P.S I never meant to infer in any way RW support is not great. Just that I think people should get there weekends. That time away to recharge is very important for techies and so I was saying that the LW crew deserve weekends doing none RW related stuff.
Exactly right on what I meant. I do the same thing. I build on my PC and bring laptop to where we game. I now sync a couple of days before the game. There had been a few thursday/friday releases that had caused me problems, but with RW and HeroLab, which is why i was agreeing with ShadowChemosh that an early week release/deployment schedule might be better for you as both a company and for the customers than an end of week one.

I also completely agree that the staff is very responsive, and I appreciate that.
mirtos is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 15th, 2015, 04:47 PM
We strive for earlier in the week releases, also, but we don't always make it for various reasons. In this particular case, we had wanted to get the release out as there was one bug that was affecting several people that we had fixed and wanted to get it into their hands rather than waiting for another week. And, unfortunately, we weren't ready for the release earlier in the week. At least it was a relatively early Friday release so that we could react to the crashes quickly and fix them.
davidp is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 16th, 2015, 05:02 PM
I'd also prefer Monday/Tuesday releases over Friday ones, even if it means working around a bug for one more game session. (Assuming I'm using it when I get back into the GM chair. :)

Parody is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 26th, 2015, 10:14 AM
I have to throw my hat in with the group here asking for releases at the beginning of the week. Since I run games on Friday night and into Saturdays it means not having to download updates in the middle of a game session which is much more convenient. Monday or Tuesday releases would give me time to download the newest updates before a game session and not interrupt the game in progress.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old February 26th, 2015, 12:28 PM
I guess I will chime in and be the lone voice for those that play weekend nights NOT weekends. Though I understand everyone's situation but there are groups and more than just mine that play during week ngihts, for us its wed, it used to be Tues for about 5 years.

So for me? I love any release on Tbursday or Friday.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old February 26th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Monday / Tuesday releases for me too.

I game on Friday's and Sunday's so an update at the weekend is not always great!

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #40 Reply With Quote