Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mynameisjake

Old March 7th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I've noticed that once I get an item the way I want it, if I hit the "test" button before saving it, I'm prompted to place the file in Data/Pathfinder and a new file is created. If, on the other hand, I hit the " save" button, then the "test" button, no such prompt occurs. In addition, I can't seem to find the newly created file. Am I just looking in the wrong place?
Mynameisjake is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 7th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Any Thing you create in the editor is saved in filed that ends in .user. This file should be stored in your HeroLab\Data\Pathfinder folder. If their when HL starts it will also load any .user files it finds.

To find any of these .user files open the editor and go to File->Open. Their should also be a list of the most recent .user files you have opened before.

Hope that helps.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mynameisjake

Old March 7th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I think the problem I was having was not properly closing the previous file I had been working on, causing more than one item/trait to be saved in the same file. At least I think that was what was happening. Unfortunately this sometimes caused unexpected difficulties when trying to make further modifications.

It's an extra step, but by closing the editor once I've finished an item/trait/etc., then reopening it to work on the next, the problem seems to go away.

Thanks for the advice, tho.
Mynameisjake is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 8th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I think the issue is that there are two different SAVES in the editor. One save saves the the Thing your working on and the other Saves the .user file. The main difference is that until your save the .user files your changes are not really saved to disk. Often I have many things I am doing so I save the Thing so I can go change another Thing. Then when all the Things are saved I save the .user file and do a Ctrl-R to reload the game system.

When you do Test Now that will perform both Saves for you so that it can correctly compile and load your changes into memory. So that is another way to make sure everything is saved.

Before doing things like Ctrl-R to reload the game system make sure you go to Editor->File->Save to actually save the .user file. Their will also be a small warning at the VERY top bar of the editor that says "***Modified***".

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mynameisjake

Old March 10th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Thanks, again. I am slowly (so very slooooowly) getting the hang of it.
Mynameisjake is offline   #5 Reply With Quote