Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Kendall-DM
Spy

Old December 7th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I'm planning on adding a shield bash attack to shields, but I've come across a stumbling block. A light shield can be used as an off-hand weapon, but I can never assign it as an off-hand weapon with shield spikes. So, one of my PCs wants to shield bash as well as using a weapon main hand, and after looking over the HL shield spikes (which he also has), it doesn't appear in the item powers. I'd like to modify it by removing the Helper.NoEquip tag (I think that's the one causing the trouble), but I can't actually access wShieldSpk to do so. I have a less than ideal workaround, of course, but I'm wondering if there is any way I can actually modify shield spikes, or is this ArmorWep compset just not available for me to alter? These d20 files are so darn frustrating to work with sometimes.
Kendall-DM is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old December 7th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Ack, I've got a working version but with warnings. Plus I have to account for Improved Shield Bash, which I have not done yet. I've opened a big can of worms, the duality of something that is a shield and a weapon means they both can't be equipped simultaneously without warnings! Hero.ShldOffOK might work as long as it is applied ONLY when the off-hand is the shield, but I'm too tired to try it tonight. I made my brain hurt a little on this one.

Last edited by Kendall-DM; December 8th, 2011 at 06:12 AM.
Kendall-DM is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old December 8th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Well, it works without warnings, but still can't do anything with Shield Spikes, and I'd like to. Also got Improved Shield Bash, as well as Improved Buckler Defense, working properly. Any suggestions, ideas, comments on what I can do regarding Shield Spikes, or is it a lost cause?

Additionally, is there any way to reference a container.parent field on a bootstrap condition?

Last edited by Kendall-DM; December 8th, 2011 at 07:03 AM.
Kendall-DM is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old December 8th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Bump. Anyone? I've got everything to work except on custom stuff. I have no idea what I can check in the condition, much less in a script, to get this all to work. Gizmos and bootstraps are making me crazzzzzy. I've tried using Helper.CurrShield as a condition on the bootstrap, but HL is just ignoring it, even though I can plainly see in the debug fields it is there, but it's still not activating the bootstrap. Tried some tricks using Helper.NoEquip, but unfortunately, it's being applied to my bootstrap across the board (if, say, you are carrying a 2nd shield). Which leaves me with trying to bootstrap test for fieldval:gIsEquip <> 0, BUT this does not check on the container.parent gizmo, and I have no idea if you can do that in the bootstrap condition. So, right now, the shield bash is not appearing (and giving me a non-live state error) if the item is a custom shield. I will take any help I can get.
Kendall-DM is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Hey. Fun with Gizmos and Bootstraps.

First I can say that for me to help I need to "see" what you have done. Can you either post the RAW xml or the full .user file. That way I can load it up and see it myself. Sorry its just the way I work.

The last is that this sounds very similar to the issue I had in pathfinder. My final solution was to remove the Gizmo and just set the Armor info directly instead of trying to get it from the Gizmo. I am not sure that will work here at all but that is how I got around all the "live state" errors.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 8th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
comments on what I can do regarding Shield Spikes, or is it a lost cause?
I had found before in Pathfinder at least a hidden tag that will allow you to add a non-magical "item power". Then assume that non-magical spike could adjust the damage type and die size of the weapon?

Sorry I know Pathfinder way better than d20. I have done some stuff in d20 but allot of differences between Pathfinder and d20 in there features.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old December 8th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Couldn't find a tag in d20 that did that, unfortunately. And that is using the debug feature for Shield Spikes as well as looking at the actual raw XML. Near as I can tell, it belongs to a component set I don't have access to (ArmorWep) and which doesn't seem to be both. It seems to be just a weapon, which is how I arrived at the route I'm at now. Hmmm, I should see how it is handling magical Shield Spikes...

Nope, no love there either. Hmph...

Last edited by Kendall-DM; December 8th, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Kendall-DM is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old December 8th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Here was my last stab before I gave up.Everything is kosher until I make a custom item. I removed the bootstrap condition and just have shield bash assigned to each light and heavy shield. If I have a regular light/heavy shield, the shield bash bootstrap is being recognize. However, if I have a custom light/heavy shield, the bootstrap for the shield bash is not being carried over to the custom item. How would I do that? Is there a way to forward a bootstrap from the gizmo onto the custom item?
Kendall-DM is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old December 8th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Well, I seem to have found what I needed to. Thank you Authoring Kit Wiki! After much search, including trying to see if I could forward picks, I decided to try Shadowing the gizmo. Added Helper.Shadow, bingo, the stars aligned, and the shield bash is working as intended, including custom items. It doesn't solve the bootstrap condition non-live error thing, but it certainly works for cascading a bootstrap onto custom items. Which is all I wanted. If I hadn't plowed through the search feature on the Wiki, I might have never found this. Even though I saw it on the wShieldSpk for shield spikes. Didn't know what it was doing, but the Wiki explained it as a container transition and it all came together. Whew, this one drove me batty!

Probably just not going to worry about Shield Spikes, sigh. Shield Bash alone was a pain.
Kendall-DM is offline   #9 Reply With Quote