Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Sendric

Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Well, this is weird. I was messing around in HL, and the program crashed (still not sure what caused it). After I re-started, it asked if I wanted to restore something, which I assumed meant the portfolio I had open. Since I didn't care about that portfolio I hit no, and now HL only runs in Demo mode. I sent an email to support for help, but I thought I would post here too just to make people aware of this oddity.
Sendric is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
Well, this is weird. I was messing around in HL, and the program crashed (still not sure what caused it). After I re-started, it asked if I wanted to restore something, which I assumed meant the portfolio I had open. Since I didn't care about that portfolio I hit no, and now HL only runs in Demo mode. I sent an email to support for help, but I thought I would post here too just to make people aware of this oddity.
I had this once a long time ago. All i did was run the uninstall program and removed hero lab plus all the folders containing any custom files.

Then reinstalled, Worked a treat.

However the MSICUU.exe (Microsoft Installer Clean Up Utility) from the Microsoft support site works wonders in ridding pesky installation errors. And fools the original installer that its the first time its been run on the system so overwrites the old registry entries. Its nice and automated after you select the installer from the populated list it generates.

Hope this helps.
bodrin is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the tip. After re-installing, it worked ok again. I did find MSICUU2.exe, but curiously it didn't list Hero Lab among the programs that it generated.
Sendric is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
I had this happen once also before. Colen told me I could have just activated the license again. As nothing else changed you can activate your license over and over again without issue.

Little easier than doing a uninstall/install.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I had this happen once also before. Colen told me I could have just activated the license again. As nothing else changed you can activate your license over and over again without issue.

Little easier than doing a uninstall/install.
Yea, I should probably jot down the license number somewhere, huh?
Sendric is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
As ShadowChemosh pointed out, you probably don't need to reinstall anything. All you probably need to do is go to the License menu and select the Reactivate License option. Upon completing the wizard, the product should again be licensed properly.

If that fails, try installing again WITHOUT uninstalling. Just install the product over itself. This will usually fix any file that has become corrupted. Once the install completes, then run the Reactivate License wizard and you should be good to go.

The only time to try an uninstall is if the above steps fail to get things working. I've only seen a few instances in a span of many years where an uninstall has been necessary.

Oh, and you can always have the license number re-sent to you if you lose it. Install the product, go to the License menu, and select the option that says to email you licenses to you. You'll be taken to our license administration website, where you can enter the email address associated with your license. You license number(s) will then be automatically sent to you via email, just like if you forget your login name for an online website.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 4th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Oh, and you can always have the license number re-sent to you if you lose it. Install the product, go to the License menu, and select the option that says to email you licenses to you. You'll be taken to our license administration website, where you can enter the email address associated with your license. You license number(s) will then be automatically sent to you via email, just like if you forget your login name for an online website.
Ah, well, that's a handy thing to know. Thanks!
Sendric is offline   #7 Reply With Quote