Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

FatherThomas

Old May 5th, 2015, 11:46 AM
At //Build/ this year Microsoft announced that they are releasing an Objective-C compiler for Visual Studio 2015. Is there any talk about a windows tablet version of hero labs?

souce
http://channel9.msdn.com/events/Build/2015/3-610
FatherThomas is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 5th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Didn't they try that with Droid apps awhile back? Anyways its MS do you really expect it to work? Or like silverlight to have support pulled 1 year from now.

Wait seems like allot of MS lovers on the boards. I think I just set myself up to be flamed.

If it "actually" works that would be a great for allot of people. I am just not expecting much.....

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 5th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Isn't Windows Tablet a full-featured version of MS Windows?

Or are they planning to launch their own tablet, separately from the Surface Pro, which wouldn't be based on an ix86 CPU?
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old May 5th, 2015, 03:42 PM
There's Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile. A "Universal App" version of Hero Lab would run on both.

With the Surface 3, Microsoft has abandoned the idea of running the desktop version of Windows 10 on devices with screens smaller than 7 inches (the 7"-8" range is where the two version overlap).

And I expect Microsoft to continue to support (and improve) the tools for porting iOS and Android apps to Windows 10 if it means a significant increase in apps for the Windows Store.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
FatherThomas

Old May 6th, 2015, 04:43 AM
Microsoft has abandoned Windows RT, the new Surface 3 is a full Windows 8.1 install. There are a ton of 8 inch tablets that run full Windows 8.1 Dell Venue 8 pro for example.

While it is true you can run the full version of Hero Labs on a tablet the interface is not touch optimized and in my experience very clunky on my Venue 8. There is a tablet mode selection in the menu, however it seems to be disabled for some reason.

The iOS application is touch optimized and should be a better fit on a small tablet, and since they have already written the code, i was hoping for a port.

EDIT: Windows 10 is going to run on devices from Raspberry PI all the way to the Surface Hub and HoloLens, so a Windows 10 universal application using the adaptive UI will run on your phone, tablet, laptop and desktop.

Last edited by FatherThomas; May 6th, 2015 at 04:47 AM.
FatherThomas is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 6th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherThomas View Post
EDIT: Windows 10 is going to run on devices from Raspberry PI all the way to the Surface Hub and HoloLens, so a Windows 10 universal application using the adaptive UI will run on your phone, tablet, laptop and desktop.
Any such "universal app" solution sounds like it will run very slowly, since it will have to be interpreted (like java) rather than compiled for the specific CPU architecture.
Farling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old May 6th, 2015, 05:39 PM
If Microsoft's tools can make PowerPoint run as a mobile app, I'm pretty sure they'll do all right for Hero Lab.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
FatherThomas

Old May 8th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Any such "universal app" solution sounds like it will run very slowly, since it will have to be interpreted (like java) rather than compiled for the specific CPU architecture.
not true, it is not in interpreted like java, there is a new windows 10 core

check it out here (non-micr$oft sources):
http://blog.jerrynixon.com/2015/03/w...s-windows.html

http://www.eweek.com/enterprise-apps...-and-xbox.html
FatherThomas is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 9th, 2015, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherThomas View Post
not true, it is not in interpreted like java, there is a new windows 10 core

check it out here (non-micr$oft sources):
http://blog.jerrynixon.com/2015/03/w...s-windows.html

http://www.eweek.com/enterprise-apps...-and-xbox.html
Thanks for the links, but Windows 10 Core just sounds like something similar to the Linux kernel which has been around for decades. Windows 10 Core is only unified at the software level.

There's no mention in the articles about the CPU architecture of each platform. If it isn't the same instruction set then suppliers of the apps will have to recompile the app source code for each different architecture (and presumably perform some form of test on each architecture)>
Farling is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old May 10th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
There's no mention in the articles about the CPU architecture of each platform. If it isn't the same instruction set then suppliers of the apps will have to recompile the app source code for each different architecture (and presumably perform some form of test on each architecture)>
That's because the goal for Windows 10 is to remove that (not entirely though) from the apps developers hands. For light apps you will compile once and run anywhere on Windows 10.

That's the dream, but like java, it won't be just that simple.

However for light apps, the kind you buy for your IoS or Droid tablets, this won't be an issue, lets face it, the CPU horsepower of these little devils is nothing short of astounding, and with a light kernal it will be fine. The key really is making sure you can utilize all those cores.

For Games and heavy apps there will be much less interoperability, no one is going to make the next BF5 run on a IoS tablet and the next DX12 power house video card from AMD or Nvidia. The future for games actually will be the limiting factor as we move into the next era, the video card will take command front and center and the CPU will be less and less of a deal breaker. With some of the benchmarks and Brad Wardell's information, things will be very different soon with Dx12/Mantle.

As far as Windows 10 is concerned, I am, running 74 now on my S3P, and have to say it is the best OS yet from MS this early, been running it since 26. RW and HL run perfectly as does every single app I have tossed at it. I will likely go Win10 on all 4 of my computers on release, and I may even ditch Droid and go win10 on my phone as well.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #10 Reply With Quote