Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ruhar

Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:43 PM
I'm creating an NPC from a module that has the trait Fast-Talker. The problem is that I don't have the option to select a trait and it says I've overspent when I do select it. I have looked at Configure Hero and it looks like anything related to traits is selected. I'm not sure where else to look so here I am begging for help. Thanks in advance.
ruhar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
TopCat

Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:59 PM
When traits were first introduced the designers said that they were only intended for PCs, not NPCs. So in Hero Lab, if you configure a portfolio as a PC then traits are available as usual but if you configure it as an NPC then they won't be.

If you go to Configure Hero (Ctrl + K) then you could set the NPC to be a PC. That will then allow you to pick 2 traits but will also throw a warning if you don't add enough XPs for the character level.

Alternatively, leave the character as an NPC and go to the adjustments tab and add an adjustment for "Traits, Total" with a value of 1. That will then allow you to select a single trait for the NPC.
TopCat is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old January 4th, 2015, 12:36 AM
Thank you TopCat. I thought I did something wrong and tried everything to try and figure it out. Next time I can't quickly figure it out quickly I'm not going to spin my wheels as long and just ask the community. :-)

Personally, I think traits should be for NPCs also. My philosophy has always been, "What's good for the PCs is good for the NPCs (and vice versa)."
ruhar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 4th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
Personally, I think traits should be for NPCs also. My philosophy has always been, "What's good for the PCs is good for the NPCs (and vice versa)."
Two easy soultions to this using HL. First one is to add the traits to the NPC and ignore the "warning". HL never stops you from breaking the rules it just gives you a warning. Option two is go to the "Adjust" tab and then add an "Other Adjustment" called "Traits, Total" and set the counter to the number of traits you should be allowed.

Pick the one that works for you.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old January 4th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Thanks ShadowChemosh. Either you or someone else introduced that ability to me awhile back and it's come in handy.
ruhar is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old January 7th, 2015, 04:31 AM
for the actual rule text:

Quote:
Character traits are only for player characters. If you want an NPC to have traits, that NPC must “buy” them with the Additional Traits feat. Player characters are special; they're the stars of the game, after all, and it makes sense that they have an advantage over the NPCs of the world in this way.
I don't, personally, agree with it, as I don't feel PC's should be 'special', just better. better stats (abilities), better training (PC classes), but not different 'rules of the universe'. NPCs grew up just as PCs did, and have just as much opportunity to develop individual traits (and drawbacks).
Fuzzy is offline   #6 Reply With Quote