View Single Post
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 10th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Pro tip: "ie" is used to refer to a singular element, and "eg" is used to refer to an example from multiple possibilities.

So you could say something like: Do you use any character generation software (e.g. Hero Lab)?

Or you could say something like: Do you use LWD's character generation software (i.e. Hero Lab)?

The method I use to remember the difference is by thinking of "e.g." as "example given", which is actually close to the Latin (i.e. the language from which these abbreviations were derived).

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu...r/ie-versus-eg

EDIT: OK, I stated an error regarding the usage of i.e. It's not necessarily a single item so much as a finite list. "I like RPGs, i.e. Pathfinder and Shadowrun," means that of all the RPGs, those are the only two you like.

"I like RPGs, e.g. Pathfinder and Shadowrun," means those are just two examples of the RPGs you like, but you do like others as well.
If you can't deal with the way I write then here is a very nice set of other letters for you STFU!

Of course I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote