View Single Post
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 20th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
The problem is, more than likely 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of PF1E content is paid to Paizo as licensing. So if they discount it deeply, they won't make much money.
I agree with the idea that LW has a VERY small profit margin for what it sells. I disagree with that much is being paid to Paizo. Mostly because if it was that high LW would have been better off just using the OGL and selling the data sets without having to pay anything to Paizo. Pretty much guarantee Rob worked out a much better deal than half cost.

Really I think LW has kept their costs down and profit margin down too low over the years. They should have been raising the cost every year and the coming of HLO was a perfect time to double or triple the cost of HLO data sets. That could have allowed them to remove the subscription price all together (maybe). I can only speak for myself but I would rather spend more money per data set than the monthly subscription as I can't see the $2.50 a month really doing much to help LW. Based on the extra $30 bucks a year/person LW is getting just seems easier to increase cost of each Package instead to get more money. Because the servers have to stay on anyway and disk space has to be used no matter if a person is paying the subscription cost or not. If I stop paying a year from now LW still has to keep my characters on disk because I could restart the subscription back up at any time. Hell how much disk space is being used by "demo" accounts.

Without knowing all of LW costs/expenses know way to know if this would work financially. But for myself it feels like a better deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I was thinking Return of the Rune lords was going to be a doozy.. characters to level 20, fight lots of rune lords.. wonder what the last one will be. I hope I can convert it to PF2E, because I won't be getting to it for a while.
I know. Wonder if it will be really a doozy or something that is only a doozy if you know every abstract Golarion piece of lore.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #100 Reply With Quote