View Single Post
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 26th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker1728 View Post
I've seen that there is a community project that has the FR as well as other older world settings as data files, but I'm curious, why doesn't LW produce these data sets and sell them just like it does PF's native world?
FYI I think you posted this to the wrong forum as you asking about Pathfinder in the d20 forum.

But basically the answer is Copy Right. The Campaign Settings for FR and Eberron are not OGL and are copy righted by WotC. Honestly what the community is doing is illegal as we are re-printing copy righted material. The thing is the mechanics are not copy righted and we make no money on it. Plus as its in a different format you would really need the 'books' to make it useful.

So my take is that it's simply not in WotC time/money budget to go after us. Though from my understanding they could if they wanted too. Mostly likely it would be a request to take the stuff down. I hope.

So for LW to do this they would need to get an actual license from WotC. Before releasing Pathfinder stuff they got a license from Paizo. One of the reasons they can use the official Paizo/Pathfinder Logos.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote