View Single Post
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 8th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
It's something I wish we had done. As far as I know though it's really bad practice to remove items from the pack post release.
To be clear it "can" be done. But yes it causes overhead to creating the installer and it has to be tracked "forever". I would "really" prefer it only be done if you 100% have to do that and you are 100% sure it fixes the problems.

It sort of sounds like just making sure every Thing is source marked correctly fixes this issue. Making sure if that if a gamer turns off the "House rule" options that NOTHING appears or any scripts fire. I can also move the "House Rule" section to be further down the list of Options (ie very end). That can help keep it out the more popular section of Configure Your Hero.

Also think about the issues of Tags and Resources. If something in the House Rule pack was to reference something in the 5e Pack you can have issues. First one is what happens if a gamer only installed the House Rule Pack they they will will get errors. HL will load into Safe Mode. No way to have the installer check for other "dependent" packs before installing. From experience this will cause additional support time to explain this to all the gamers that ONLY loaded the one pack.

From actual experience of trying to run multiple Packs its MUCH easier/nicer/less time to have a single Pack. Just someone has to spend the time to make sure that all NEW Things and Old Things are source marked.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #357 Reply With Quote