Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Azombiod

Old June 7th, 2015, 12:39 PM
So, sourcing content has been an incredible task in this and it seems to me that there are already plenty of resources online. I understand the eventual goal is to build a marketplace however it seems to me in the meantime we could agree on and share content via the forums or dropbox or a website. At least those not trying to sell it. Perhaps we could use this thread as a means to agree on formatting and other ideas in relation to this project. I'd also like to note this doesn't have to copy characters straight from the book as there are many player made sources available of everything from mods to ships. Hopefully this should eliminate most of the copyright concerns as many of these tools are on the FF games forums themselves. Let's perhaps make a format our first goal and move from there and if need be perhaps shield this forum by agreeing on another forum or custom reddit to host our future discussions. Looking forward to hearing thoughts and opinions on this and thank you.
Azombiod is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old June 7th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Realm works is not set up for trading content outside of the marketplace. Here are some of the reasons.
  • There isn't a cut and paste from RW into other applications at this point.
  • Backing up the database backs up all the realms in it and if someone else restored your database on their computer it would destroy all their content and replace it with yours. There is no partial or selective backup/export at this time.
  • Sharing copyrighted content is illegal. You are of course free to enter it into RW for yourself provided you have a legal copy of the source material, but you are not allowed to share it with others. I'm reasonably sure sharing with your players invited to your game would be ok, but not to everyone through the marketplace.
  • LoneWolf Development will be required by copyright holders to police the marketplace once it is up for copyrighted material. It would be best if we didn't threaten their ability to get licenses with the copyright holders by asking for support of questionable if not illegal activities.

In any case, what you want can't really be done at this juncture. Maybe somewhere down the road it could be, but probably not until after the marketplace goes live.

The best people have been able to do, to my knowledge, is invite others on these forums into their realms as players so they can see how the other person did it.
Viking2054 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
azomboid

Old June 9th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Sorry tried to recover other account and the reset password link wouldn't work. So slightly different spelling lol
Yeah well I was just talking about making modules and sharing them via the load realm workaround... so rather then basically having to put in everything from a custom player realm or book you own you could simply do one or two and we could all trade with similar formats... that way we have a module baseline that can simply be easily modified to run with your party. We already started this project and I'm basically trying to find more members to agree on some formatting options. The post was more about the format...

To respond to your points however...
There isn't a cut paste but this workaround works in the near term.
Yeah it's a short term solution until the encryption gets broken or marketplace released.
Sharing is only illegal if both parties don't own the content I'm pretty sure. Not to mention player created content can be freely shared.
They are required by law already to serve take down notices in a timely fashion... like every other company that is at risk of similar problems... video streaming sites... facebook pages... certain games with mods that can have some player created infringement almost all use this system as well... The real question is why did Realm works take this particular stance right? I already said my piece on the other post about breaking the encryption so we can actually use our data so I wont repeat it here. Check that I suppose if you're interested. Thanks for the response and if anyone else who plays EotE please lemme know and lets agree on a format... it will still be good when the marketplace comes out guys!
azomboid is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old June 9th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Azomboid, I think you may be getting what you want to some extent anyway. The Content Market is not an "eventual goal," it is the #1 priority of the development team and will be released in the relatively near future. Once the CM is in place, users will be able to share their content. Now, if your intent is to violate someone's IP rights, I'm sure that's going to violate the Content Market's terms and conditions and subject the violator to having his or her content taken down and account cancelled.

I'm not going to get into a discussion over the fair-use doctrine of US copyright law here. I'm not an IP lawyer and can't give advice. I would expect that RW will take a fairly conservative view on this to keep the content providers happy. I can understand how that can be upsetting to some users, but I also understand the position that RW is in. It will be interesting to watch how it all plays out. Amazon and other e-book publishers have gone through most of the growing pains already, so I don't think that finding a good balance is too difficult.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #4 Reply With Quote