Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works in Action
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

daplunk

Old November 2nd, 2016, 02:16 PM
Thanks BJ

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #61 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old November 3rd, 2016, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asandir View Post
MadCartographer and I were talking about CC3+ the other night on the IRC. Going to go checkout your video now.
I have been using the Campaign Cartographer stuff for more than ten years, although not too often due to the technical limitations of the software. These limitations have almost vanished with the CC3+ version which runs a lot faster and is more stable than the older versions. Big city maps are still an issue as obviously there is a size limit for the FCW files, beyond which you run into the dangerous land of endless loops. But for your everday village or dungeons, for detailed country maps and adventure areas, it is a simple to use (simple after getting used to the way it works, that is) and powerful tool.

There are many mapping styles for different tastes, and the cartographer's annual subscription delivers many more ideas every month. And it is easy to extend it with your own style elements. For the money you get a fully functional CAD tool which is a lot more than any map drawing tool can offer.

No, I don't get money for advertising it. As mentioned there are still some bugs. But from my long lasting experience the software is getting better with the years and that is all I need. It is not one of those packages that vanish from the market after a couple of months.

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #62 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:06 AM
The + made all the difference for me. I used to want to throw the PC through a window after 30 minutes of using it.

Now... it just works, I'm picking up new tips and tricks all the time. Quite enjoy using it.

Especially with the content market coming in Realm Works... because you can legally sell the maps you make which is awesome.

New CC3+ Video - How to create basic dungeon maps

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #63 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:12 AM
You're making CC3+ videos now as well. Cool. I put in a bunch of time to learn the program when I got it but I rarely fire it up. I just find it too much work. But I'm looking forward to seeing your videos. Maybe they'll inspire me to start using CC3+ more.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #64 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:45 AM
Watched the video. Do you ever create at-table battlemaps with CC3+ I would love to see your process. Do you have to take the exported JPEG and go through the process of resizing in another graphic tool?

One thing I like about Dugeonoographer is that that they make it easy to print at proper battlemap proportions without needing to manipulate the image outside of the tool.

Also, do you ever keep you CC3+ files in RW? Not just the exported JPEG/PNG files for smart maps etc, but the actual FCW files. I'm thinking it would be easier to keep things organized in RW, but worry about bloating my realm with what can be very large files.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #65 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:02 PM
Haha I made a video almost immediately apparently just for you MNBlockHead.

http://downunderdm.blogspot.com.au/2...tware.html?m=1

This one shows me taking the map I just made and putting it straight into MapTool. I don't attempt to use Realm Works as a VTT. Currently I store everything on Google Drive. But if I was going to sell content on the market I could certainly add a foreign object snippet and add the *. fcw file or even save the MapTool campaign file and embed that straight into Realm Works. Will have to test that.

Does anyone know if Fantasy Grounds has a pre made map file?

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #66 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old November 3rd, 2016, 03:08 PM
What do you mean a pre made map file?

I'm vaguely familiar w/ FG (having written community extensions and converters for it)

There aren't any maps built in (besides tools for on-the-fly), but usually part of modules, or you can import your own of course.

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #67 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 3rd, 2016, 03:30 PM
So in MapTool you can save a campaign file that contains all your maps. Technically I could create the campaign file with all the maps and LOS stuff built in and then embed that file into Realm Works. That could then be sold on the market.

So I wonder if the same thing is possible with Fantasy Grounds. Content providers could sell content that is ready and prepped to be used with popular VTT solutions.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #68 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old November 3rd, 2016, 03:43 PM
@daplunk,

Yes, in Fantasy Grounds you can create a .mod file that contains all your maps, text, vision blocking, etc.

Dave

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #69 Reply With Quote