Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
FreakFire74

Old July 27th, 2018, 03:14 PM
From Jushua's Tutorials:

Quote:
How do I add a Natural Attack?
The Natural Attacks also need to be added. These are things like 'Bite' that are added to the monsters abilities and not as a weapon. They are easy to add and can be added via the Race thing.
1. Click Race > Race and select your monster from the list.
2. Click the Natural Attack's Edit button.
3. Click the button to add a Bootstrap (Bootstrap is basically a fancy term for saying I want to connect this thing to another thing).
4. Search the list for the Natural Attack you need to add.
4.a If there is no match you can use something similar and change the name.
5. A screen opens allowing you to configure the attack. It has a default that works on the standard mathematical calculations but you can adjust it. For this example i'm going to enter this Natural Attack:
Quote:
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: 28 (4d8+10) piercing damage.
6. Set # Dice to the number of dice that needs to be rolled.
7. Set the Dice # Sides to the type of dice that needs to be rolled.
8. Set the Reach to 20 to reflect the 20ft. range.
9. Adjust anything else you need to change. Note that for the ability above this is all I needed. Hero Lab managed the rest of the calculation. You can click Test Now and lookup the monster in Hero Lab to see the impact of your changes. I usually have the monster up in an open portfolio so that I can review the changes as I make them to a monster.

https://i.imgur.com/Kc67C6m.png - Too many images.

You mentioned I could Change the Name?
Getting a bit more technical now but yes yes you can. Take note that this does not only apply to Natural Attacks. The scripting in Hero Lab is bloody powerful.
1. The screen you were configuring above has some buttons on the right. One of which is called Fields. Click that.
2. Click to add another field x2.
3. Set the first Field Id: to sbName and the Value to <your custom Natural Attacks name>. The drop down should remain as Assign.
4. Set the second Field Id: to wShortName and the Value to <your custom Natural Attacks name>. The drop down should remain as Assign.
5. Why did you do that twice? Hero Lab has different copies of names to allow it to use them in different views. The wShortName is the name that appears in the Armory Column and the Weapons tab within HLC while the sbName is the one that is used in the StatBlock (Ctrl K > Show statblock summary window).
I get this all, however, how do I add bonus damage. For instance I have a pseudopod attack:

Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6+4) bludgeoning damage plus 5 (2d4) psychic damage.
FreakFire74 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote