Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

Toblakai

Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:09 AM
I'm perfectly fine with online only, as long as they still make the standalone hero lab. But to be perfectly honest, I don't think I have gamed anywhere in the last decade that I haven't had internet available.
Toblakai is offline   #31
MNBlockHead

Old July 22nd, 2017, 09:53 PM
I'm hoping for both. DnD Beyond will offer a Web view and an app for iOS and Android. The app will support offline access to your content. There are, however, no plans for Windows program at this time.

Hero Lab would actually have an edge if they have an on-line version that syncs with data uses with their iOS and Windows apps.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #32
UttiniDaKilrJawa

Old August 7th, 2017, 07:58 PM
Hmm, Hero Lab Online.

I must admit the prospect sounds interesting and a tad off putting at the same time.

I like the thought of being able to use this one program across multiple OS's.

Yet, I wonder what happens if my Internet connection goes down during a game session where I am using Hero Lab.

Also, the whole Online portion makes me wonder if some sort of subscription model is coming down the pipe. Which could possibly make this program more expensive to run in the future for myself.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what happens.
UttiniDaKilrJawa is offline   #33
Toblakai

Old August 7th, 2017, 08:02 PM
The one thing a subscription service could do though is lower the barrier of entry for new users. For a new user to get all of Pathfinder is a lot of money, but for say $10/month they could have access to all the data.
Toblakai is offline   #34
charlieluce

Old August 7th, 2017, 09:11 PM
On the other hand, I've had Hero Lab for around ten years; I've spent around $300 on it in that time. That's a good deal less than $10 a month.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #35
Toblakai

Old August 8th, 2017, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
On the other hand, I've had Hero Lab for around ten years; I've spent around $300 on it in that time. That's a good deal less than $10 a month.
I have spent well over that in 3 years, but I GM a lot of games, and my players have a lot of the splat books. I use the tactical console and import all of their characters, so I end up buying more books. At this point I would not do the $10/month. But if I just started using hero lab tomorrow, it would be tempting.
Toblakai is offline   #36
Paragon

Old August 9th, 2017, 06:17 AM
I'll also point out this calculation is considerably different if you use the game for Savage Worlds or M&M.
Paragon is offline   #37
Toblakai

Old August 9th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
I'll also point out this calculation is considerably different if you use the game for Savage Worlds or M&M.
I imagine the subscription model would really only work well for Pathfinder, or if you use multiple systems.

Right now the barrier for entry into Pathfinder is very large, especially for a GM using the tactical console. I see posts on reddit all the time about how expensive it is.
Toblakai is offline   #38
daplunk

Old August 9th, 2017, 01:03 PM
I wonder if it is a sub if the sub will even be for content. There's so much work involved in creating content that I suspect they will still want to charge a one off fee for it. Some of the packages take weeks to months to enter.

Just like dnd beyond I would suspect there will be a subscription to cover the ongoing cost of the service instead. To cover things like bandwidth, electricity, storage. These are all things LWD will be billed for monthly by the data centre.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #39
Steel_Wind

Old August 12th, 2017, 11:35 PM
Looks like things are happening. Announcement at Gencon.

http://www.wolflair.com/gencon/

Steel_Wind is offline   #40
Closed Thread