Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MardukBathory

Old October 3rd, 2016, 09:56 AM
Is there a way to alter the interface for Custom Backgrounds?

As they stand, any custom feature (such as 'Shelter of the Faithful,' 'False Identity,' or 'By Popular Demand,' etc., etc., etc.) you add doesn't show in the PDF version of the character sheet.

It would be nice if I could just make what I add appear, because I always forget to edit the PDF and never realise until AFTER I've printed it off and taken it to game nights.

But also, is there a way to make a drop-down menu of all the existing benefit features, to fit in better with your chosen backstory? Or just edit the skills and tool proficiencies that accompany the existing backgrounds?
MardukBathory is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dropbear8mybaby

Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:12 PM
Maybe it's a setting in "Configure Hero" because the background feature shows up on my sheets when I print out the "Abilities & Gear" page.

I'm personally trying to figure out a way to alter all the backgrounds to allow for customised choices of proficiencies. The background proficiencies are only meant to be suggestions but since they're hard-wired into the backgrounds in HL, I'm forced to constantly choose the Custom Background and input the feature text myself. So far I haven't managed to figure out how to get it to work though.
dropbear8mybaby is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:51 PM
dropbear8mybaby - I saw this the other day too. In the case of backgrounds you will find that capability is controlled by the core srd pack. Log an issue with lone wolf pointing out the page that the rule appears on and request that the incorporate it into the core pack. At the least, the custom background should allow the selection of this stuff.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is online now   #3 Reply With Quote
dropbear8mybaby

Old October 3rd, 2016, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
At the least, the custom background should allow the selection of this stuff.
Cool, thanks. But I'm trying to copy them and make custom ones in my homebrew data file. I can't figure how to both eliminate the set proficiencies and allow the choice of proficiency. So far I can do one but not both.

Or are you saying it's not possible even with custom scripting? If so, that would certainly explain why I can't figure it out, lol.
dropbear8mybaby is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 3rd, 2016, 05:30 PM
I'm saying you could likely achieve it with scripting but given this is RAW that LW should instead be engaged to upgrade the functionality themselves.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
dropbear8mybaby

Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:03 PM
Quote:
I'm saying you could likely achieve it with scripting but given this is RAW that LW should instead be engaged to upgrade the functionality themselves.
Ah, cool. I'll send it on to them but in the meantime I'll try to figure it out for myself and my players so they can just select my Homebrew ones
dropbear8mybaby is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:41 PM
Instead of trying to script the actual ability to change (that could be difficult) perhaps just make copy of the backgrounds from within the Editor and make the changes to the proficiency there.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
dropbear8mybaby

Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Instead of trying to script the actual ability to change (that could be difficult) perhaps just make copy of the backgrounds from within the Editor and make the changes to the proficiency there.
Umm... that's what I said I'm trying to do...
dropbear8mybaby is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
MardukBathory

Old October 4th, 2016, 10:46 AM
If all of the existing background features were available to pick from on the Custom Background option then you wouldn't need to tweek any skill or tool proficiencies.

But if I could just make it so that my custom feature appears in the PDF where it normally would with one of the fixed background features then that wouldn't even be an issue.
MardukBathory is offline   #9 Reply With Quote