Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

TCArknight

Old February 21st, 2014, 05:10 PM
One thing I'd like to see, perhaps under the Campaign tab in the editor, is the ability to rename the History phases to something specific to the campaign. For example, in dresden files, there are 5 phases (Background, Rising Conflict, The Story, Guest Starring and Guest Starring Redux). I'm able to do this with a script on the campaign, but it might be simpler to do if there were entry options on the Campaigns tab itself.

If anyone wants to do something similar at the moment, this is the script -
Quote:
(Phase - Initialize)
trustme

hero.child[eqHist1].field[UserName].text = "Background"
hero.child[eqHist2].field[UserName].text = "Rising Conflict"
hero.child[eqHist3].field[UserName].text = "The Story"
hero.child[eqHist4].field[UserName].text = "Guest Starring"
hero.child[eqHist5].field[UserName].text = "Guest Starring Redux"
TCArknight is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old February 21st, 2014, 07:03 PM
My latest effort has been trying to do an NPC who does not require full stats. Well, actually, it's a critter that I'm writing as a bit of an in-joke. Here is what I expect the aspects to look like (All come from the lyrics of a song by the Doubleclicks)>

DIMETRODON!
High Concept: Sailback Giant
Trouble: Went extinct 200 Million Years ago
Aspects: He eats Sharks, He is ten feet long, Giant Teeth!

Now what skills a precursor to the dinosaurs would have are up in the air. He's better off as a FAE concept. But I wanted to create a text file with just what I can get.

It would be nice if there was a way to switch in this process. Say that if the character you're statting out in Core, and you think "Hey, this character would look a heck of a lot better in a FAE game". Or vice-versa. Or if you're doing up a bunch of NPCs in a hurry and not all of them need a full complement of skills and stunts, but you want to be able to print or post them together.
MPHopcroft is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Territan

Old February 22nd, 2014, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elindor View Post
There was a bug with the previous version where the skill picker wasn't adding the skills to the campaign properly. That's been fixed in the latest version (which also requires the latest version [4.3a] of Hero Lab). If you had created the campaign file before the latest update, you should be able to add them with the new update through the skill selector in the editor.
I had deleted the fatecore folder, reloaded it from the .hl file, and built from scratch, and the skills still wouldn't appear for me.

After recompiling the data files and shutting down and restarting Hero Lab, I now have a skill list, so that's working. From here, the only thing I have to add is one special stunt. So I've got that going for me. (yay)

To chime in on the subject of Fate Accelerated, I think Hero Lab does need to be aware of it. I have Worlds on Fire & Worlds in Shadow, and one or two of the campaigns proposed in there are based more on Accelerated than Core. Instead of the traditional skill pyramid, for instance, "White Picket Witches" uses seven Assets (into which the character can spend eight points willy-nilly), and Fight Fire has nine Skills (of which the character will have established ratings in six) which bear no resemblance to Core's canonical list.

It wouldn't be so much an "Accelerated" thing as a "Toolkit" thing to be able to change what Skills are called at the campaign level.
Territan is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Elindor

Old February 22nd, 2014, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Territan View Post
I had deleted the fatecore folder, reloaded it from the .hl file, and built from scratch, and the skills still wouldn't appear for me.

After recompiling the data files and shutting down and restarting Hero Lab, I now have a skill list, so that's working. From here, the only thing I have to add is one special stunt. So I've got that going for me. (yay)
When building the user file attached to this message, I found that Develop > Quick Reload Data Files would bring them into the list - basically, Hero Lab needs to load them up in the main window, then it's good to go.

Quote:
To chime in on the subject of Fate Accelerated, I think Hero Lab does need to be aware of it. I have Worlds on Fire & Worlds in Shadow, and one or two of the campaigns proposed in there are based more on Accelerated than Core. Instead of the traditional skill pyramid, for instance, "White Picket Witches" uses seven Assets (into which the character can spend eight points willy-nilly), and Fight Fire has nine Skills (of which the character will have established ratings in six) which bear no resemblance to Core's canonical list.

It wouldn't be so much an "Accelerated" thing as a "Toolkit" thing to be able to change what Skills are called at the campaign level.
Well, I do need to comment on the subject of Fate Accelerated - I created a .user file for FAE, and there is one problem - I have a validation error due to having unspent resources in the skill section - it seems to be expecting two full columns, and using that to validate, despite there not being sufficient points to do so. And, as it fails validation, it also locks me out of Advancement mode. That needs to be resolved, so that skill column settings will work.

I've included the .user file, and a sample portfolio to demonstrate the problem.
Attached Files
File Type: email Strider Accelerated.por (16.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: email Fate Accelerated.user (3.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf Strider Accelerated.pdf (71.5 KB, 11 views)
Elindor is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Elindor

Old February 22nd, 2014, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Well, I do need to comment on the subject of Fate Accelerated - I created a .user file for FAE, and there is one problem - I have a validation error due to having unspent resources in the skill section - it seems to be expecting two full columns, and using that to validate, despite there not being sufficient points to do so. And, as it fails validation, it also locks me out of Advancement mode. That needs to be resolved, so that skill column settings will work.

I've included the .user file, and a sample portfolio to demonstrate the problem.
OK, found out how to get around this - I disabled the number of Skill Columns. However, this is not the most complete option - by setting it to 2 skill columns with 9 skill points, it forces the 3,2,2,1,1,0 structure of FAE, but throws a validation error. By leaving it open, it allows non-FAE compliant builds (such as 3,2,1,1,1,1, or 3,3,3,0,0,0) which do not produce validation errors.

I think the issue I found is that the tooltip says "Maximum number of skill columns", but the validation is treating it as "must have x skills of each level"
Elindor is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:58 PM
Quote:
How did you make that work even as well as you did? I'm not a power user by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm wondering how I can use the .user file to help me with FAE.
MPHopcroft is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Elindor

Old February 23rd, 2014, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPHopcroft View Post
How did you make that work even as well as you did? I'm not a power user by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm wondering how I can use the .user file to help me with FAE.
A lot of the information is in the Fate Core specific documentation for Hero Lab (located under Help > Fate Core Beta Manual), but here are the steps I took to create the user file in the Hero Lab Editor.

I started with a new data file, since I knew I would likely be distributing this one. The first thing I needed to do was to assess what needed to be added. The major changes to go from Fate Core to Fate Accelerated is the skills are replaced by Approaches, and there is only one stress track.

Important Note: After saving changes to a .user file, compile the file (Control-C). This will test for syntax errors (such as typing the name of something incorrectly), and will tell you where they are!

The Stress Track is not covered in documentation, but I took a quick peek at the existing stress tracks (and found the Wealth and Mana tracks that were provided by the kind folks at LWD in this release), and found that they're defined very simply. You simply create a new stress track item, give it a name (in this case, Stress) and a UniqueID (in this case, strFateAccel).

I also took the opportunity to add it to a data source by clicking the Edit button next to Sources. Selecting a New Source then let me define the Fate Accelerated source which appears in the Hero Setting when configuring the character.

After this, save the object, then save the .user file. After compiling (not that the changes we've made so far should cause any problems, but it's a good habit to form), go back to Hero Lab and under the Develop menu, select Quick Reload Data Files. This will tell Hero Lab to load your new .user file as well as the Fate Core game files, which makes things in it available to you.

Now, we go back to the Hero Lab Editor, and reopen the .user file if it isn't already open. Now we need to put our approaches in. Since they behave in the same way as skills do mechanically, they can go into Skills. For the first one, give it it's Name (Clever), UniqueID (skClever), and then click the Edit button next to Sources. The Source you defined for the Stress Track can now be selected, so simply check the box and hit OK. Now, save the skill. Next, you need to duplicate that Skill five times using the button in the lower left of the Editor. That will save you a bit of time, since you just need to go through and rename them, clicking the save button each time (At this point, I also copied the aspect description from FAE to appear in the mouseover text).

At this point, I saved the file and compiled it again (good habits, since we're still not expecting errors at this point). Then, I returned to Hero Lab and did another quick reload.

The final step was ahead of me - creating the Fate Accelerated Campaign. Back in the Editor, I created a campaign, doing the standard Naming and adding it to a Data Source (you may need to scroll down for that). Since FAE doesn't use the skill pyramid, I chose Skill Columns as the Skill Style. Starting FAE characters have a skill cap of 3, and get 9 skill points. Refresh Rate is 3, so we can leave that blank. Initial Stunts and Default Stress are then set to 3. Then, click on the Edit Button next to Campaign Skills. Select the six approaches you defined above, and click OK. If you're using the latest version of the Fate Core Datafile, this will set the skills up (It was broken in the previous version). In the lower section of the options, you can set the Physical and Social initiative skills (Quick and Careful, respectively).

Then, you need to add the Stress Track. Click on the Bootstraps Button, and then click where it says "Click to add another bootstrap". You can then either click on the Choose button, and select the Stress Stress Track from the list that appears, or type the UniqueID for it in the text box. Just above the text box, it should say "Thing: Stress (Stress)" as it identifies the UniqueID. If it has, click OK, then save campaign and the file.

Compile the File NOW - this is the first place where you may come into a problem (and that should only be if you typed in the UniqueID wrong when setting up the Bootstrap). Assuming it worked, do a Quick Reload of the data files, then go to Configure Hero. Check the Fate Accelerated box (or whatever you called it), then you should be able to select the campaign you just created from the campaign list. As a note, the stunts from Fate Core will not be in the stunt list (as their linked skills are not in the campaign), so you'll just have the Custom Stunts.

I've tweaked the .user file I uploaded earlier so the validation error won't block the transition to Advancement (although it does have the problem I alluded to in my second post), and suppressed the 1/scene custom stunt (which doesn't fit in FAE).
Attached Files
File Type: email Fate Accelerated.user (4.2 KB, 8 views)
Elindor is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old February 23rd, 2014, 11:25 AM
Some more thoughts:

1) We need the ability to set a 'Stunt-like' ability to be bought at a rate of 2 for 1 refresh, 3 for 1 refresh, etc.

In the Tianxia setting, characters can spend 1 Refresh for:
  • Martial Art 'Form' & 1 of the associated MA techniques
  • 2 MA Techniques for forms the character already has
  • 1 Stunt

A 'Form' acts as an overall permission for certain techniques. Techniques are similar to stunts, but not quite as powerful.

2) Based on a campaign, characters need to be able to have a definable/modifiable 'movement rate'. For example, in Tianxia, characters begin with the ability to move 1 'zone' if they are unhindered by obstacles. Their Athletics skill rank can allow then to move 1, 2 or even 3 extra zones. Their standing in the 'Martial Arts World' also provides for extra movement as well.

3) We need to be able to create a Tracker which we can attach to a game mechanic for all characters (Perhaps showing on the In-Play tab next to Consequences and on the Aspects and History Summary tab under aspects, but before consequences (or on the Other summary tab))

I think there are a couple of other items, but those are what I can think of now..
TCArknight is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
kodama1

Old February 24th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Very happy with the update fix for Beta 2. Glad to see things expanding. I, like TCArknight, am running a Dresden game and Would love to see the naming convention he addressed. Also, would like to add "Powers" in the same area as Stunts. For this game pure mortals use Stunts while everything else uses "Powers". So having a place for that would be great. Or just rename it to "Stunts / Powers".

Also, since I'm working on importing all of these powers manually, it would help to find out where I can create a Sourcebook that I could store and then pull these all from. I'm guessing that's where they will end up being in the long run.

I see in the editor where I can click on "Sources" for each stunt, and see where I can create a "-New Source-". However when I do that and try to "Test Now!" to make it active I get an error stating "Hero Lab was forced to stop compilation after the following errors were detected: Source 'DresRPGys' - Reference to non-existent parent source 'DresdenYS'."

Also, I don't see where I can select that as an option to check a source once it is existing (So I don't have to retype it every single time).

If I can find where I could do that it would sure help me out.

Ideas?

-kodama1-
kodama1 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
kodama1

Old February 24th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Also, I forgot, you need to add stunts / powers that are positive effects on refresh. In the case of A werewolf (Shape Changer) in Dresden this is a power that gives refresh as they are required to have it, but it can cost up to 2+ in refresh (not -2) if they take rare or involuntary change.

All you would have to do for this effect to take place is to allow negatives in the edit field. Normally a cost of 1 for a stunt is -1, but if you put in -1 it would allow it to be a +1 in refresh.

-kodama1-

See following text excerpt...

Human Form [+1]
Description: You’re a shapeshifter, but when you haven’t shapeshifted, you’re just a normal person.

Skills Affected: Varies.

Effects:
Regular Joe/Regular Jane. Specify which of your supernatural abilities (usually most or all of them) are unavailable to you when you’re not shapeshifted into your “powered” form. As long as you specify at least 2 points worth of supernatural powers, you gain back
1 point of refresh for making this choice. If you only have 1 point of supernatural powers
affected by this, Human Form is not worth any refresh.

Rare or Involuntary Change [+1]. If you are only rarely able to take your powered form
(due to involuntary change, rare times of the day or month or year, etc.), you regain
two points of refresh for taking this ability, instead of one. The total cost of the abilities affected by the Human Form must be greater than the amount of refresh points paid back by this effect. So to get this version of Human Form, it must affect at least 3 refresh points’ worth of powers.
kodama1 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote