Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ruhar

Old July 30th, 2017, 11:54 PM
Why can't Mechanics Source articles be put into containers like Story Source articles? I am entering a rule book for the CM and since it is a rule book there is no Story Source. The Realm Works® Content Sharing Guidelines states that a realm needs to have a source article for Mechanics that is the broad overview of the content. I want the broad overview article to be the container for the Foreword, History, and Various Images. All of the articles are at the beginning of most if not all rule books; if they were Story Sources they would be contained in the Story Source article. What am I suppose to do with these articles when I can't put them in a container?
ruhar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old July 31st, 2017, 12:15 AM
There is GM Synopsis and Player Synopsis (or similar) article categories which can be used as launch points into a product for either the GM or player.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old July 31st, 2017, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
There is GM Synopsis and Player Synopsis (or similar) article categories which can be used as launch points into a product for either the GM or player.
But those are in the Story Source not in the Mechanic Source. As I understand the guide articles are not suppose to cross to another section if the realm is for the CM.
ruhar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 31st, 2017, 01:19 AM
Just ignored the guide if that is what it says. It must be wrong.

Content that contains 100% mechanics will need a mechanics source.
Content that contains a story will need a story source.
Content that contains both will require both a mechanics and story source.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old July 31st, 2017, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Just ignored the guide if that is what it says. It must be wrong.
Does that mean that articles that are on the story side can be contained in the mechanic side? And I can contain them in a Mechanic Source article?
ruhar is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old July 31st, 2017, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
Why can't Mechanics Source articles be put into containers like Story Source articles?
Perhaps a question for a bug report, rather than the forum. This may actually be a bug with Story Sources in whatever version you're using, as I cannot give Story or Mechanics Sources a parent in 243.

There's nothing stopping you from making new Categories in the Sources (Mechanics) Group or containing other types of Articles under a Mechanics Source, though.

(Also, Story Sources are Topics, not Articles.)

Quote:
I want the broad overview article to be the container for the Foreword, History, and Various Images. ... What am I suppose to do with these articles when I can't put them in a container?
In my Paranoia realm I used a Mechanics Source as the top-level container for each product line (edition) and a custom Article category named "Product Info" for each individual product from that line. The Product Info category is in the Sources (Mechanics) Group and is a mix between what we've seen in the Source Topics/Articles from the content available on the LWD website and the import information for that content (since the category was made well before we had import/export). It includes things like a summary of the product, list of authors, cover images, the publisher product code, and ISBN number(s). I didn't put in any introductiony stuff since it was only for my use anyway.

In your case, perhaps use the Mechanics Source for product info and either make custom Categories in the Sources (Mechanics) Group or use some edited instances of General Articles for the other info.

Quote:
Does that mean that articles that are on the story side can be contained in the mechanic side? And I can contain them in a Mechanic Source article?
In 243 you can't contain Topics under Articles or vice versa. If you need an Article that's similar to a Topic, use one of the generic Mechanics Categories or make a custom one.

Aside: "Various Images", as used in the sample content from LWD's website, is horrible organization in my opinion. Covers and other identifying marks should be in a Topic/Article with the other product information (likely the Story/Mechanics Source), handouts should be in a specific "(Product Name) Handouts" Topic/Article and (case depending) placed closer to where you're going to want to show them/hand them out than the information for the entire product, incidental images would hopefully have a home closer to the content they're supposed to be depicting, and advertisements for other products should be deleted. :P

You may be stuck using it for whatever products you're recreating in RW, but if you have the choice you may find better homes for your products' images.

Last edited by Parody; July 31st, 2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: I kept adding stuff. Sorry.
Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 31st, 2017, 07:46 AM
Quote:
There is a way but I don't recommend it. Last person who tried had bugs. Articles on the mechanic side can be linked to story side and vice versa. But no, you can't by default move story topics into the Mechanic section nor mechanics into the story section.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials

Last edited by daplunk; July 31st, 2017 at 07:49 AM.
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old August 1st, 2017, 10:49 AM
Before reporting anything, upgrade to the latest version.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old August 1st, 2017, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
Before reporting anything, upgrade to the latest version.
I always stay upgraded to the latest version.
ruhar is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old August 1st, 2017, 06:46 PM
I sent a bug report and this is what they said:

"The way things are supposed to work is, articles in the Mechanics Source category cannot be contained by anything else, but they should be able to contain other articles. For instance, you should be able to create a "Mechanics Gallery" article for holding images that is contained by a Mechanics Source article.

Similarly, topics in the Story Source category cannot be contained by anything else, but they should be able to contain other topics. For instance, you should be able to create a "Story Gallery" topic for holding images that is contained by a Story Source topic.

If you import the free content we've already released, you can see that they generally have both a Story Source topic and a Mechanics Source article. The Story Source topics generally contain GM Synopses, Player Synopses, and Story Gallery topics.

Perhaps the difficulty you are running into is that articles (from the Mechanics Reference) cannot contain topics (from the World Almanac), and vice versa?"

I will be posting a request for more categories for the Sources of Mechanics Reference.
ruhar is offline   #10 Reply With Quote