Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Tbigley

Old July 5th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Though I am new to the forums I have been using my Hero editor with great joy for a bit now (though admittedly less time then those to which I am reaching out to) I would very much like to be able to put a pathfinder revamp of the Dread Necromancer into my Hero Lab for an upcoming game and am having trouble adding the entire class effectively and so the post. With guidance I am sure I could add the class and any help or pointers would be much appreciated, mind you I have never added a class before so please be patient. Otherwise if someone else is up for the challenge and would be so kind as to share their final project with me I would be much appreciative. There will be some changes needed to be made but not much as the class is fairly compatible as is. But for those who need quick reference to the class I shall provide a jpeg with the information needed. Feel free to ask for any elaborations if you don't have access to the source material.
Tbigley is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Tbigley

Old July 5th, 2011, 05:59 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/imag...5be2ba5090.jpg
Image didn't seem to post, here is a link to it.
Tbigley is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:34 PM
What are you having trouble with? Please be specific as to what you want to do and how you are trying, and how it is not working.
Lawful_g is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Tbigley

Old July 6th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Alright, will try to give a little more detail as to what I have done so far.

Started class by copying sorcerer class (as DN casts spells spontaneously like a sorcerer) but I removed the spells known tree that the sorcerer had (have not yet gotten to the point where I will have to add a spells known list so don't know how I plan to do that just yet so if someone has dealt with a similar class, I'd like to know how you did this)

Also for the odd (all simple weapons plus one martial) weapon proficiency I simply added a free martial weapon prof feat at level one (if there's a better way to do this, I'd like to know)

Things like BaB, Saves, and such are pretty self explanatory, applied those.

Next I began to try to create the special ability (charnel touch) as it is one of the first you get and shouldn't be to difficult, I created this in "Class Special" tab, selecting special ability (attack), ability classification (supernatural), Usage Period (at will). I of course changed the descriptive texts as well (but am wondering why I cant find a place to list the damage for the attack action) perhaps I created this from the wrong tab?

As for adding the class specials into the class do I add these as "Specials" Bootstrapped or do I add them as Custom Abilities?

Also there are alot of abilities already made within Hero Lab that I have not dealt with or heard of so if anyone notices that one of the DN abilities is "Just Like" so and so ability, please speak up as it will help me to create these quicker. Gonna go back to it, but my problems stem from a large amount of information not yet compatible with Hero Lab that I will have to code in myself but not quite knowing where to start or which tabs are most appropriate to apply in a class creation (though I am sure I am making things harder then they need to be) haha.
Tbigley is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old July 6th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Actually it looks like this class does not have a certain number of spells known, rather it spontaneously casts any spell on it's list. This is closer to the Warmage class, so switch the spellcasting type field to Unrestricted (Warmage). To add spells to the spell list make copies of each spell they can cast and give a new unique ID and class tag specific to your Dread Necromancer class.

Weapon prof sounds fine.

There is not a field for damage, but you can use an eval script to calculate the bonus to damage, and then rename the specials to "Charnal Touch, 1d8+X" where X is the bonus.

These would be specials that are bootstrapped. Custom abilities are something where the user has an option to select among several different abilities, such as a Rogues high level abilities.

For a base class I wouldn't try to recycle abilities from other classes, although you can certainly copy eval scripts from other things.
Lawful_g is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Tbigley

Old July 6th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Sweet, yeah after posting I did a little more research and found that it would be specials bootstrapped, looks like I will have to add each special though as they are not in any other classes. You are correct about the casting so will swap over to warmage (unrestricted) and that should work better. One of the problems I am encountering though and I am sure this has something to do where I am saving the special. But after I create a special in "Class Special" tag, I give it a unique ID and abbreviated, full name and all that jazz and save it, but when I go into the "Class" tab and click the special ability button I cant seem to find it on the drop down menu.

atm the save files are located at C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\pathfinder
is there a different location or a specific way of saving the file so it appears in this menu?

Feels like a total noob question and problem, but its one of those I'll only ever have to ask once I'm sure haha.
Tbigley is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old July 6th, 2011, 05:31 PM
You have to hit the "Test Now!" button for your newly created special, then go to your Class Helper, click on the bootstrap button on the upper right, enter the unique ID for your just created Class Special there to bootstrap it, then save and "Test Now!" for the Class Helper. Then the changes should be reflected on your test character.
Lawful_g is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
repair

Old July 25th, 2014, 10:25 AM
I started working on this my self and was just wandering if you finished?
repair is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old July 25th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by repair View Post
I started working on this my self and was just wandering if you finished?
Just a heads up Lawful_g now works for lone wolf under the pseudonym Aaron.

As he announced upon his appointment he would no longer be working upon the D20 project and passed the baton onto the community for updates.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 25th, 2014, 01:53 PM
And I wasn't working this project anyway, just advising. I have no idea if Tbigley got anything done, sorry!
Aaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote