Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

EightBitz

Old March 27th, 2014, 09:59 PM
I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here:

1) I go to "Mechanics Reference", add a new "Characters" group of the type "Race/Species".

2) This did not allow me to select that race for an individual.

3) I had to add a tag for the race by going to Manage > Tags > Race.

4) There seems to be no way (none that I can find anyway) to link the tag to the race. So when I select the new tag as the race for an individual, there's no link back to the topic for that race.

5) What I CAN do is select the tag as the race for the individual, then in the annotation field, add a link for the race's topic.

Am I missing something in not being able to link the tag to the race, or is the method I'm using a reasonable one?
EightBitz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 28th, 2014, 01:05 AM
If you put the race name into a text snippet instead of using a tag, then the text snippet will auto-create a link to the topic of the same name.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 28th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
If you put the race name into a text snippet instead of using a tag, then the text snippet will auto-create a link to the topic of the same name.
Well, that's basically what I did with the annotation. But the race tag is still there, and I don't really want to break the "individual" template by removing the race tag (even for a single instance) without a more compelling reason.

I appreciate the reply, though. Thanks.
EightBitz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 28th, 2014, 06:28 AM
I think the more important point here is that you'd probably want to use both. The Tag isn't really for linking entries, but rather for searching and sorting whereas the snippet will give you the linking. So I've always used both in those situations because they really just do different things.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 28th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
I think the more important point here is that you'd probably want to use both. The Tag isn't really for linking entries, but rather for searching and sorting whereas the snippet will give you the linking. So I've always used both in those situations because they really just do different things.
That's what I figured. I just wanted to make are I wasn't missing something.
EightBitz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2014, 04:00 PM
One of the things on our todo list is establishing special tag associations with topics, which will essentially provide both the filtering/searching benefits of tags AND the cross-linking. However, that's still on the todo list. Until we get that hybridized capability added, tags and links are separate mechanisms with distinct uses, so both need to be employed.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote