Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

zarlor

Old January 25th, 2013, 05:40 AM
I've been looking at getting 50 Fathoms up next (Tour of Darkness and Pirates of the Spanish Main are in Review now, so if anyone want's a "beta" version before they go live just let me know). One of the things implemented in 50 Fathoms, though, is a single AB (Magic) but with 4 different subcategories, Earth, Fire, Water and Air. Each of these categories simply limits which Powers are available to you. I would normally consider this just 4 different ABs, but here's the catch... you can add a category to any one you've chosen as an Edge. It's not like adding a second AB (which presumably you can't really do anyway) but rather just adding Powers that were previously set as Limited by the Sphere chosen.

Anyone have some ideas on how to implement that? I figure I could set up 4 different ABs for each sphere for that initial choice, then create Edges for each of the 4 spheres, but I'm not sure how to make the Edge modify the Power Limitation list. Although is someone has a better idea or different way that might work I'd love to hear it.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Hey I will send you my NightFall file - it not done but the psionics I have done and you can see what I did to get that style to work it you want it zarlor.
jbearwillis is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old January 25th, 2013, 10:28 AM
One thing that might work is to have a group. It is like the Factions, which you would use for the first choice. Have the second choice (in Groups) require the edge that provides it. So you would choose "Fire" in Factions, then get an edge for "Water" and select that as a group. The printout would list both Fire and Water by your race, so at a glance you would see that your character is a Fire and Water mage.
SeeleyOne is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 25th, 2013, 03:25 PM
@jbearwillis: Sure! I'd love to see what you've got. If I forgot to send it to you before just send it to zarlor at acm dot org.

@SeeleyOne: The problem with that method is that there are 4 potential types you can take. Having all 4 makes you an "Archmage". So I'm not sure the Group/Faction method would really work, plus I'm not sure how to use that to remove some of the spell limitations from that list.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 31st, 2013, 10:02 AM
OK, I see what you did. Mainly just setting up powers to have PickReqs for the appropriate Edges. So I don't really need to do the preclude powers list so much as just set PickReqs for them. Duh.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old January 31st, 2013, 10:30 AM
LoL simple yet it works. I told you that it wasn't much but it works and seems like your getting extra Arcane backgrounds.
jbearwillis is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 31st, 2013, 12:14 PM
Yeah, but you could have just told me you did that. I was looking at that file for like an hour before I realized what you did!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old January 31st, 2013, 01:08 PM
LoL Sorry, I told you I'm bad about how I do things, I just try things until they work. Bad about explaining things and I thought it was easy what I did and didn't think about sometimes the easy way is more confusing then the more in depth way. LOL and again sorry about that.

I tried to do a lot of more advanced ways of doing it, by hiding them and such but I couldn't get them to work right so I just went the easy route.

The bad thing is - when someone tells me what they did doesn't work for me as much as seeing what someone did. I have the problem of learning by example then explanation.

Last edited by jbearwillis; January 31st, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
jbearwillis is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 31st, 2013, 01:34 PM
I mostly work well by example, too, but since this one has several places to look it took me a while to realize that I needed to just look at the Powers themselves (rather than the ABs and Edges) and that you just set Pre-Reqs on them. It does work great... well, in the sense that you have to leave all appropriate powers valid so they do show up on the list, but at least they are grayed out and you can set an explanation of why the character can't have it. Worked perfect as the last thing I needed to finish up the 50 Fathoms file. Speaking of which, 50 Fathoms has been sent in for review if anyone wants a Beta copy.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old January 31st, 2013, 02:48 PM
Well I guess as long as you figured it out and it worked - That's all that counts.
jbearwillis is offline   #10 Reply With Quote