Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ddufour1395

Old July 18th, 2013, 05:23 AM
I know Hero Labs can make custom monsters however for a future Pathfinder Campaign I would like to edit a few of the classes using the Hero Labs software. The editing I am talking about is mostly simply removing ability "X" and replacing it with ability "Y". The "Y" abilities will be essentially static bonus feats (the +1 or +2 garbage feats that bloat the system) and incorporate some into a class as a feature.

However this seems easy enough but I have not found any documentation on if this is possible in Hero Labs. If it is, my second question for the Hero Lab experts , what is the most efficient way of achieving this goal?

Thank you.
ddufour1395 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ddufour1395

Old July 18th, 2013, 05:49 AM
I have managed to find this: file:///C:/ProgramData/Hero%20Lab/data/pathfinder/authoring/pathfinderedit.htm

which seems to have some basics on the built in editor. However I am still looking for advice on the best approach to achieving this goal.

Also is there a way to "copy" a Pathfinder class before I modify it so I can modify the copied class?

Thank you
ddufour1395 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 18th, 2013, 06:34 AM
In the lower left corner of the editor there are 2 buttons, "New (Copy)" will copy an existing thing and let you make a new version (as long as that thing is part of the core). There is also a "Replaces thing ID" field on the right which you can use to make your new version of the class replace the old version.
Aaron is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ddufour1395

Old July 18th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
In the lower left corner of the editor there are 2 buttons, "New (Copy)" will copy an existing thing and let you make a new version (as long as that thing is part of the core). There is also a "Replaces thing ID" field on the right which you can use to make your new version of the class replace the old version.
I was just starting the class tutorial on that link. Which shows the copy (new) but it did not mention the Replaces thing ID.

When you say "core" I assume you are speaking of Hero Lab modules (not just the Core Rulebook for Pathfinder) that I have purchased that are for the "Pathfinder" system? So I could copy (and use as a template) the Cleric class, the Gunslinger class, and use material from Frog God Games (that is purchased as additional Pathfinder content)?

This is correct?

Thank you for your help.
ddufour1395 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Umarian

Old July 18th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddufour1395 View Post
When you say "core" I assume you are speaking of Hero Lab modules (not just the Core Rulebook for Pathfinder) that I have purchased that are for the "Pathfinder" system?
The Core package of HeroLab is not referring to the Paizo books. There are aspects in HL, (tags, macros, Racial Specials, Class Specials, etc), that makes up the Core of HL Pathfinder. That is what he is referring to.

Quote:
So I could copy (and use as a template) the Cleric class, the Gunslinger class, and use material from Frog God Games (that is purchased as additional Pathfinder content)?
Are you trying to make one class or two classes? You mention copying the Cleric, the Gunslinger, and FGG material so it sounds like 2 1/2 classes. Without more information, it would be really difficult to point you in the right direction.
Umarian is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ddufour1395

Old July 18th, 2013, 07:42 AM
To be honest the exact number of classes to be edited is unknown however It could be expected to have minor changes to all classes (mostly feats they access that have been changed/removed/added).

The only ones that will have other changes are ones as mentioned that would have a class ability that emulates a removed feat.

I have done the tutorial for a very basic on adding abilities, changing spells, etc. I do not see spellcasting as being altered mechanically in the classes.

So far it seems like I can add feats as class abilities using the Editor.

However, I am very green at this and any advice on efficiency is appropriated.

Also is the editor capable of making a set of "house rules" in regards to a check box similar to how one would select a portfolio to use "Pathfinder Society" rules?
ddufour1395 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Umarian

Old July 18th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Sounds like what you are wanting to do is create Archetypes, not classes. Archetypes have mechanics built in where you can remove abilities from the class and add other ones instead.

Have you read all of the documentation presented here? There are a couple of videos, and a lot of things to read over. Classes and archetypes are some of the most difficult things that you can work on, and if you are new to the editor, it is a monster to start with.
Umarian is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 18th, 2013, 10:02 AM
When I say "Core" I mean things from the core package, like the Fighter or Druid classes. Those you can directly copy, modify, and then save.

Things from other packages, like the Magus class from UM, can be copied but cannot be saved (this is to protect us from a user just making a copy and easily distributing it to those without the package). For things like that, you can still sort of copy it, just not easily. You'd basically be using the unsavable copy as a template, and building a new class which mimics it.

Replacements are pretty simple to use, make a note of the original's unique ID (for example, the unique ID of the dodge feat is "fDodge"), create your new version (call it "fDodge2"), and put the old one's unique ID in the Replaces Thing ID field. That way anything in the system which would normally affect the old dodge is redirected to your new dodge feat, and the old one is not selectable any longer.

Quote:
To be honest the exact number of classes to be edited is unknown however It could be expected to have minor changes to all classes (mostly feats they access that have been changed/removed/added).

The only ones that will have other changes are ones as mentioned that would have a class ability that emulates a removed feat.

I have done the tutorial for a very basic on adding abilities, changing spells, etc. I do not see spellcasting as being altered mechanically in the classes.
Spellcasting should be handled in the latter tutorials, which go through making the alchemist class.

Quote:
So far it seems like I can add feats as class abilities using the Editor.

However, I am very green at this and any advice on efficiency is appropriated.
Is the idea that the feats are going to be completely unavailable to anyone who does not have the class which has an ability that emulates them? Because if not, why not just have the new classes bootstrap the feats that they grant? That'd be more efficient than creating new class abilities, surely.

Quote:
Also is the editor capable of making a set of "house rules" in regards to a check box similar to how one would select a portfolio to use "Pathfinder Society" rules?
The very last couple buttons on every editor tab include the "Sources" button, which you can use to set up a "ddufour's house rules" source. One thing to keep in mind is that replacements happen regardless of whether any particular source is active. For example, if you make a new Fighter class, give it the house rules source, and have it replace the old Fighter class, there will be no fighter class shown when you don't have your house rules source enabled.
Aaron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 18th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umarian View Post
Sounds like what you are wanting to do is create Archetypes, not classes. Archetypes have mechanics built in where you can remove abilities from the class and add other ones instead.

Have you read all of the documentation presented here? There are a couple of videos, and a lot of things to read over. Classes and archetypes are some of the most difficult things that you can work on, and if you are new to the editor, it is a monster to start with.
And yet that always seems to be the thing everyone wants to try their hand at, funnily enough. Maybe the relative difficulty just means we hear from such folk more often than those taking on simpler tasks.
Aaron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Umarian

Old July 18th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I think there are a lot of newbies that start with other stuff. Like you said though, because other stuff is easier, we don't hear as much from them. I started with races myself and that was hard enough. Since I know Shadow outside of the boards, I got to learn the difficulties involved in classes before delving into them. (Though I did want to start with class creation.)
Umarian is offline   #10 Reply With Quote