Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lanmalchior

Old January 25th, 2017, 09:05 PM
I JUST bought this software today and spent 5 hours entering info and I went to exit and save and it says I need to update my software to sync it. When I do that it says it needs to close and my info isn't saved!!!! So, if I close my software without this update will I lose all the work I just did?

This can't seriously be my first experience with this software can it?
Lanmalchior is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 25th, 2017, 11:05 PM
Everything is saved in the database as you create it. So nothing should be getting deleted anywhere.

Since we released a new version of the product while you were using it, and this new version is required to sync to the server, you need to get the new version before you can sync. Just to be extra safe, exit the old version that you are currently running. Everything should remain intact, but this will also generate an automatic backup when you next restart. Then launch Realm Works again and upgrade to the new version. Once you do that, you should be able to sync without any difficulty, and everything you created should be exactly where you put it.

Releases like this one that require upgrades and logins are uncommon. We made some substantial changes to the D&D5E game system structure that necessitated we do it this time so that we can properly fixup everybody's data cleanly.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 25th, 2017, 11:23 PM
And welcome Lanmalchior.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Lanmalchior

Old January 26th, 2017, 04:42 AM
It seems to of worked. Thanks.
Lanmalchior is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old January 26th, 2017, 07:15 PM
Lone Wolf is very protective of our data and will go out of their way to fix oddball corruptions that have occurred in the past. Sometimes it may take a while to get things resolved but I have never lost any work other than through my own errors.
Gord is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old January 26th, 2017, 07:16 PM
And as a suggestion, make sure you save the Realm every hour or so just in case.
Gord is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 27th, 2017, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
And as a suggestion, make sure you save the Realm every hour or so just in case.
Do you mean save the topic (ctrl+S) if you are taking a long time on a particular topic?
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old January 29th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Do you mean save the topic (ctrl+S) if you are taking a long time on a particular topic?
Both are a good idea.
Gord is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old January 30th, 2017, 05:37 AM
I save a lot during work on any topic, as much as I love RW, it has been a crash nightmare on and off settings links for me.

Currently it seems good, but I have not used the latest build much yet. But so far may be most stable yet.

I save as soon as I create any topic.
I save again when I have all the menus set, and the initial data in.
I save again when all data is in the snippets, before I manipulate anything.
I save again when done manipulating data into snippets, or maybe in between if it is a large topic.
I then set no more then three links manually before saving, repeating until done.
I then save a final time if required, this is usually after applying all text formatting.

This is my SoP, it seems though RW knows when I get lax, and break this convention and lose about 30 minutes work because of it.

99% of my crashes are from or during setting manual links, which I use liberally and love them to death! no more flipping pages, one click! However they have been the bane of my RW development work.

I have had a few other crashes from time to time, but really not many outside of manual link setting.

Treat RW like a game, save often, and you wont lose much.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 30th, 2017, 11:48 AM
I still don not understand what you are doing with these "manual links." What are you accomplishing that you can't better accomplish, and without crashing the program with alternate names for topics?

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote