Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Malefic Polyhedon

Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:28 PM
I've seen a lot of threads on the board that asks how to do a drop down list, but I have yet to really see anything that explains how to do it successfully. I am working on a race for a home brew campaign. The race automatically receives a major hindrance, but it is a list of eight of them to chose from. The second aspect they get is a free skill at a d6, but its not specific, it can be any skill.

So any thoughts on how I would start to do this?

Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone can throw at me.
Malefic Polyhedon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:56 PM
My clue is... I still have no clue. Well, sort of no clue. On Edges there is a section for Menu #1 and Menu #2 Tag Expressions. You can set items there separated with a pipe (that's a | on your keyboard, the shifted version of \) which acts as an "or" expression. That can create a drop down list. You can then use an eval script to do something with the item picked from the list.

For example, I have on the Necropolis file the faction Ordo Novus Templum. The faction should get a +1 to either Boating, Driving or Piloting, whichever the player chooses. So I created an Edge for the faction, gave it a containerreq to only show for that faction (I can give details on that part if you really need it) and Bootstrap that Edge on the Faction. Then in the Menu #1 Source I chose "All Picks on Hero" because I only wanted it to show menu items if they were already bought for that Hero in this particular case. Then for Menu #1 Tag Expression for the Edge I put "thingid.skBoating | thingid.skDriving | thingid.skPiloting" and finally for the Eval script I used the following:

Code:
      ~apply the +1 modifier to selected skill
if (field[usrChosen1].ischosen <> 0) then
   perform field[usrChosen1].chosen.field[trtRoll].modify[+,1,"Ordo Novus Templum"]
endif
So the "field[usrChosen1].ischosen" is whatever the user selected from the things presented from Menu 1 (usrChosen2 would be for Menu 2 stuff). Which is all fine and dandy for modifying some existing thing, but actually bootstrapping something in with code that way is not at all something I can figure out how to do, if it can even be done.

Instead I think your only option would be to do like they did for the Half-Elf race, which is to create 8 separate races, one for each of of the hindrances.

The free skill part is easier, since you don't need to bootstrap any specific skill or set of skills, you just need to add a skill point and you've got it covered.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; February 2nd, 2013 at 02:58 PM.
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Malefic Polyhedon

Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:41 PM
Okay, well that's good news on one, not so much on the other Doing the build eight times is a little inelegant to say the least. But I haven't seen a better alternative yet.

Thanks for the heads up on the skill though. I'll keep looking and see if I can find a solution that doesn't involve multi-building, if I find anything I post it, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to take that route.

Thanks a lot for the advice.
Malefic Polyhedon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:13 PM
Yeah, if you do find another way please do let us know. It would be a huge help to have some way to do a conditional bootstrap.

The closest other option I've seen has to do with using Factions or Groups to handle something like this, which you can see discussed in this thread, if that helps any.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote