Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

KahnB

Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:26 AM
Hi there,

most probably this has been covered already, but I can't find it in the forum.
We project the player view with a projector to the wall. It would be great if we could place digital "miniatures" to the map and move them around. This would be extrelemy handy to see where the players and monsters are, without having to recreate the map on the table and play with real minatures.
This would be really great!

Best wishes
KahnB
KahnB is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:33 AM
They've already said they don't want to put virtual tabletop (VTT) functionality into Realm Works. Instead, they're looking at better integration between Realm Works and VTT applications. If there's a VTT application you like you might want to let them know, perhaps in one of the other threads on this forum that deal with it. (VTT is too short a term for the site's search, but "virtual" turns up some threads.)

Hope this helps.

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 2nd, 2014, 03:16 AM
Just to clarify, putting icons on the player view is definitely the plan, since there are lots of situations where icons can be handy for visualizing things clearly. However, that's the point at which we'll pretty much be drawing the line. We have no plans for dealing with light sources, nor who can see what based on line-of-sight and vision range. Those are squarely the domain of VTTs, as far as we're concerned, as are a very long list of features that VTTs specialize in.

There's going to be a small amount of overlap at the most basic levels, just like most VTTs currently replicate certain basic elements of Hero Lab while not trying to recreate the entire product. I'm sure there will be a number of users who find the basic capabilities we'll have within Realm Works sufficient for their needs, just as there are some who find the basic character creation features of VTTs to be sufficient enough to forgo Hero Lab.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old November 3rd, 2014, 09:09 AM
IMO, Glad to hear Rob... I don't need Realm Works to be a VTT. I need Realm Works to focus on campaign management. It is a niche (which I'm certain you know) that they can set the standard for years to come.

@ Community>
There are plenty of hardware / software's (good and bad) that are already in the VVT arena. If that is a need you have, I would suggest D20Pro since they have a "partnership of sorts" with Herolab (and hopefully carries into Realm Works) that sets them slightly above IMO.
see here>http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?...ss-Integration

D20Pro already has the capabilities for importing Herolab data (though with some warts see critique below). And with more functionality promised from D20 Pros' recently completed Kickstarter, the collaboration between the two companies looks promising. D20pros' recent partnership with Mesa Mundi only further adds to the possibilities long term for a true VTT. See here for more info on their part in this.http://mesamundi.com/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rtual-tabletop
http://d20pro.com/

3rd party critique. NOTE this listing is a few years old and both companies have made improvements (though not complete fixes) to some of the importing glitches mentioned. That is, impart, some of the approach of d20's kickstarter move is to make the software more edition transparent.
http://rpgeek.com/archives/489
Thanks in advance for to RPgeek.com and L8knight for repost link.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Logos

Old November 5th, 2014, 09:13 AM
I disagree. I think it needs some basic function from a VTT like character and monster icons. After all I am displaying maps and layouts for the PCs to view. Note that I don't need the complexity of a VTT but I am trying one out. Not liking it too much though as it is kind of adding to much complexity to my games. Me and my gamers like to keep things basic...hell half the time we don't use a map it's all in our heads.....very, very confused heads.

That being said I have run some games using Realm works and the number one request was for Icon placement so they could know where they are relative to where the monsters are on the map.

We don't use grids or figs but they love me to draw rough sketches to show them where everything is and then update it when they want to do something that requires map and figs...but they don't want to use maps and figs... I would truly love it if there was some basic functionality for this here.

Nevermind it being a huge pain in the ass to try and run Realm works, a VVT, a voice chat program and Hero Lab at the same time. It is getting to the point where I need 5 monitors to run a game and I bought into this to make my like simplier! lol.
Logos is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 5th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I disagree with your disagreement.

First a (semi)solution and then why I disagree....

The maps have pins. You can place them, move them, erase them, do whatever you want. They can function in a manner that you describe. Sort of. One of the requests has been to have a variety of icons for the pins which would undoubtedly serve your needs quite nicely (but those calendar supporters are pretty vocal about this not being a critical feature so speak up in the that forum if you want this sooner than later). Custom map pin icons is something I support not because it could create a quasi-VTT but because every single user can probably use this added functionality somehow.

If I go to a seafood restaurant, I don't order a burger or spaghetti. They are not their expertise and chances are pretty good that they are not going to be a burger or spaghetti I will enjoy. I really don't want to see LWD put a token effort into features that they don't have their heart and soul invested in or that others can do considerably better. They're a small company and they realize they can't be everything to everyone which is not only refreshing but also realistic.

RW is an amazing planning and organizing tool. With the coming player version, it'll become a wonderful reference tool as well. IMNSHO, these are the core functions that LWD needs to focus on with a laser intensity. Consequently, LWD needs to avoid doing a hack job just to check feature boxes or to satisfy a small contingent (who will also likely not be happy with how their burger turns out). At best some people will find it useful. At worst a lot of us will be seriously peeved that core functionality is being ignored to add fluff.
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 5th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Here's how I see it...

There are many very standard situations across RPGs where different symbols are commonly used on maps. For example, secret/concealed doors, traps, initial locations of monsters, and a host of others immediately spring to mind. These are of GENERAL USE to the vast majority of users, and they make maps significantly more informative than having a single generic pin for everything. So they are something we definitely should include.

Will we be able to make everybody happy with the perfect set of icons that meets everyone's individual needs? Nope. That's not the objective.

The objective is to provide significant benefit and utility to the vast majority of users. We'll never be able to be perfect for everyone. But we CAN be highly useful for everyone. Once we identify the "standard" set of icons for common needs (like traps and secret doors), it's of little extra work to include a smattering of additional icons that users can leverage for their own purposes. Will those icons be perfect for everyone? Not at all. But they will be a reasonable solution for negligible extra work on our part, which will make lots of users happy. Why? Because those users now have something that's "good enough" for their needs.

@AEIOU: To use the restaurant analogy, virtually every restaurant offers a salad option. Are they great salads? For many restaurants, no way. But people still order them at those places. Why? Because the salad isn't (usually) the focus of the meal for those people, yet having a salad is beneficial for digestion (keeps the pipes running smoothly, so to speak). If the restaurants didn't offer salads, their business would decline - that discovery is why seemingly every restaurant started to offer them in the first place. People want a decent salad to go with the main meal they are ordering - and that main meal is the reason they came to the restaurant in the first place.

In the same vein, providing a reasonable assortment of icons for general use on maps will be exactly like offering salads on our menu. The icons are not why consumers will choose Realm Works in the first place. They'll come to Realm Works for all the cool features for weaving a campaign together. However, the lack of icons could be why a reasonable number of prospective users would turn away from Realm Works in the end. Just like restaurants, we need some decent salads on the menu, and icons represent a salad option. Just like any restaurant, there are the "signature dishes" on the Realm Works menu, and there are lots of other dishes that flesh out the menu. Users will come for the signature dishes. They'll stay because of the full menu.

Hope that makes sense!!!
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old November 5th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Here's how I see it...

There are many very standard situations across RPGs where different symbols are commonly used on maps. For example, secret/concealed doors, traps, initial locations of monsters, and a host of others immediately spring to mind. These are of GENERAL USE to the vast majority of users, and they make maps significantly more informative than having a single generic pin for everything. So they are something we definitely should include.

Will we be able to make everybody happy with the perfect set of icons that meets everyone's individual needs? Nope. That's not the objective.

The objective is to provide significant benefit and utility to the vast majority of users. We'll never be able to be perfect for everyone. But we CAN be highly useful for everyone. Once we identify the "standard" set of icons for common needs (like traps and secret doors), it's of little extra work to include a smattering of additional icons that users can leverage for their own purposes. Will those icons be perfect for everyone? Not at all. But they will be a reasonable solution for negligible extra work on our part, which will make lots of users happy. Why? Because those users now have something that's "good enough" for their needs.

@AEIOU: To use the restaurant analogy, virtually every restaurant offers a salad option. Are they great salads? For many restaurants, no way. But people still order them at those places. Why? Because the salad isn't (usually) the focus of the meal for those people, yet having a salad is beneficial for digestion (keeps the pipes running smoothly, so to speak). If the restaurants didn't offer salads, their business would decline - that discovery is why seemingly every restaurant started to offer them in the first place. People want a decent salad to go with the main meal they are ordering - and that main meal is the reason they came to the restaurant in the first place.

In the same vein, providing a reasonable assortment of icons for general use on maps will be exactly like offering salads on our menu. The icons are not why consumers will choose Realm Works in the first place. They'll come to Realm Works for all the cool features for weaving a campaign together. However, the lack of icons could be why a reasonable number of prospective users would turn away from Realm Works in the end. Just like restaurants, we need some decent salads on the menu, and icons represent a salad option. Just like any restaurant, there are the "signature dishes" on the Realm Works menu, and there are lots of other dishes that flesh out the menu. Users will come for the signature dishes. They'll stay because of the full menu.

Hope that makes sense!!!
Mmmmmm.
Food

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 5th, 2014, 06:11 PM
I call dibs on the secret door icon for my character!
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 5th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I call dibs on the secret door icon for my character!

I did say "smattering of additional icons". For example, we could do a few different icons with 1-9 on them or A-Z. Then the PCs could be the icon style with the digits on them, while the monsters are the icon style with the letters on them. Or whatever along those lines. I think you get the idea.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote