Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 7th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
Thanks, BJ! Yep, I cast my vote early this morning. Appreciate you reaching out to us all to ask what we are most interested in.
Thank you for voting!

Last edited by BJ; February 7th, 2017 at 10:56 AM.
BJ is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Jay_NOLA

Old February 7th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Are the images going to be just usable for Realm Works? Are they Royalty free ones? $5 for 10 images is high if they are not going to be Royalty free and usable only in Realm Works. You can go buy royalty free images for about that price or maybe a little bit more on several sites.

I don't play Pathfinder so the content market has nothing of interest to me currently.

Also, how are art/map packs going to be submitted to the Content Market?

Last edited by Jay_NOLA; February 8th, 2017 at 09:03 AM.
Jay_NOLA is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 7th, 2017, 11:13 AM
This is the only reason I would buy the pictures... If they can't be reused in future commercial content I would sooner just cut and paste from Google...

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Lkj

Old February 7th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
. . . As for official WOTC content, that may be a thing of the far future but brace yourselves for the cost if it is . . .
So, the high cost wouldn't surprise me, given how other licensees have had to price the WotC data. But the 'may be a thing of the far future' is disappointing. Here's hoping you're being coy.

AD

P.S. And I did go and take the survey
Lkj is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 7th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
This is the only reason I would buy the pictures... If they can't be reused in future commercial content I would sooner just cut and paste from Google...
Just like any content you purchase from the Content Market, I would expect that the rights for commercial use remain with the originator. Purchases would be for private use only. I would be very surprised if the right to use images in commercial products was included.
Silveras is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 7th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Assuming that you can prove that all the pictures you cut and pasted from Google have given you permission to sell them ;-)
Farling is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old February 7th, 2017, 03:36 PM
The reason she said "far future" wasn't to be coy. WotC very likely doesn't see this format as a priority for them. They have always been behind the times when it comes to digital distribution.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 7th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Assuming that you can prove that all the pictures you cut and pasted from Google have given you permission to sell them ;-)
Sorry my point here is, if they can't be used for commercial reasons I have no reason to buy them in the first place. If things I'm going to use personally I have Google.

The reason I would go out of my way to buy pictures is for me to use them in commercial products. Even if its just free content provided to the community.

I wouldn't use Google Pics in commercial products unless I knew they were in the public domain.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Lanmalchior

Old February 7th, 2017, 06:51 PM
I've been buying WOTC product since back when it was TSR and own hundreds of their books. I probably owned 85-90% of their product up through 3.5 and since we started gaming again I'm back in on buying all the 5th edition stuff.

That WOTC has not found a way to come in on this or done so in an affordable way is really disappointing. I'd gladly pay SRP on hard cover WOTC product I already own just to save myself the time and hassle of taking my own copies and entering them myself. I actually started to enter some stuff and stopped as I was hoping I could just pay $50 for a book and be done with it. If they aren't available right off I'll just go and putting it in myself and move on. If it comes out at a later date it stinks for LWD, but I'm not going to buy it if I've already put that time in. LWD loses out, WOTC loses out and I'm going to save money, but lose out on time.

I get that WOTC or any company needs to make money on the games they put out, but we are the engine that drives their business and supporting us helps them. If I'm running a game and a new player item comes out I know six copies of that item will be sold just because I'm running a game. We are the heart of what makes the whole industry money. When we are running games new miniatures, dice, paint, game books, dice bags, software, even music, etc. gets sold. In an age where our pen and paper experience is competing with console games that have tens of millions of dollars spent on them and Marvel is making amazingly eye catching content with great stories too, I'd hope we would get more love. The easier and more engaging we can make the experience the more players who will come to the table and stick around.

WOTC and others are you listening? We are the heart of the game, help us help you.
Lanmalchior is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
gaffneyks

Old February 7th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Lemur View Post
The reason she said "far future" wasn't to be coy. WotC very likely doesn't see this format as a priority for them. They have always been behind the times when it comes to digital distribution.
Which is strange as they seem to have totally embraced the Virtual Tabletop companies(or at least Fantasy Grounds and Roll20). It just seems strange and disappointing that they and LWD cannot come to an agreement. Of course LWD seems to embrace having someone else do the data entry part of their products(example Army Builder data files or Hero Lab for 5e community pack) maybe that was a sticking point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanmalchior View Post
I've been buying WOTC product since back when it was TSR and own hundreds of their books. I probably owned 85-90% of their product up through 3.5 and since we started gaming again I'm back in on buying all the 5th edition stuff.

That WOTC has not found a way to come in on this or done so in an affordable way is really disappointing. I'd gladly pay SRP on hard cover WOTC product I already own just to save myself the time and hassle of taking my own copies and entering them myself. I actually started to enter some stuff and stopped as I was hoping I could just pay $50 for a book and be done with it. If they aren't available right off I'll just go and putting it in myself and move on. If it comes out at a later date it stinks for LWD, but I'm not going to buy it if I've already put that time in. LWD loses out, WOTC loses out and I'm going to save money, but lose out on time.
Pretty much same for me. Both groups I DM have players that prefer to play in the Forgotten Realms so i will either switch to another product like a VTT and move away for using Realm Works for the games I DM or enter the info myself into Realm Works and never use the content market. Either way Content Market is a disappointment for me even before it goes live. Pretty sad.

Last edited by gaffneyks; February 7th, 2017 at 08:28 PM.
gaffneyks is offline   #20 Reply With Quote