Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

JohnSouthgate

Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:46 PM
Could we get an additional entry type for snippets that is a text entry, but has a defined title too please. It feel clumsy to have to either have to use a tag field just for the title or have to type in additional info to give a text field relevance.

Thanks
JohnSouthgate is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:04 AM
If you want a title, can't you create a sub-section within the topic?
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
JohnSouthgate

Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:20 AM
When I say title, I'm sorry I used the wrong terminology - I'm referring to the label at the start of the snippet rather than a category title.

I would like to have a text based field that has a label for a snippet type please

Thanks,
JohnSouthgate is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:04 AM
I would very much like these too, so that you can list lots of things in a more compact fashion than having lots of titles running down the screen.
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old April 4th, 2014, 02:02 AM
There has been some discussion about this here.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old April 5th, 2014, 11:08 AM
+1 from me.
Kendall-DM is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old April 5th, 2014, 12:31 PM
I mentioned something on LWD's Facebook page about labels yesterday and got this reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I've looked through the World Builder's Guide and can't find anything about custom labels. (In the snippet section anyway). Can you point me to the page number or section please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm Works
Anthony, they're called tags. Check out page 33 of the World Builder's Guild. You'll need to add your custom tags first. Then, if you need assistance, I can walk you through how to set up the custom snippet with the attached tag.
At the moment then, it looks like we will have to use custom tags as labels.

Edit: Just had a moment of inspiration! How about something like: [Label] Label text here [/Label] Text that will come after it.

Something that can be stored as text, but shown as a label...

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.

Last edited by Zaphod Beebledoc; April 5th, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 5th, 2014, 12:55 PM
We gave the idea of labels on text snippets some serious thought during development, but there's a nasty complication that arises and we couldn't come up with a clean solution during our analysis. There may still be a good solution that we overlooked.

The "label" field would need to be a completely separate control, just like it is for the other snippet types. So how do we lay things out?

Option #1: We limit the text snippet's contents data to be a single line so the label and contents can be placed side-by-side.

Option #2: We force the snippet's contents data to be displayed in a much narrower region so that the label is shown on the left. This would look a lot like two columns of data, with the label being on the first line and the contents data to its right. The problem is all the empty space that now appears beneath the label.

Option #3: We put the label on an extra line ABOVE the contents data. This will usually NOT be what the user wants, as it's visually distracting and fails to present the material in a useful way.

The big problem is that we need a solution that cleanly handles snippet contents data running for multiple lines. If so, then we aren't able to put the label on the same line with the contents data unless we go for the visually ugly option #2 that is also very wasteful of visual space. This "waste" becomes much more of an issue on smaller screens (e.g. laptops).

We could theoretically do something along the lines of what @Zaphod proposed with the "[label]text[/label]" technique. However, that has a major drawback as well. When you are in View mode for a topic, double-clicking within text should let you enter Edit mode at exactly that spot. But if we use formatting controls like "[label]text[/label]", we completely lose that ability. The label text would be displayed as "Label: contents" in View mode, but switching to Edit mode would move the text around, so now the snippet contents would move out from under where the user double-clicked.

There's no good solution here that we could think of. So we left it where users can readily insert their own labels at the start of the text if they really want them. You can also user whatever formatting for the labels that you prefer.

If anyone has a good idea for how to solve all these issues, I'd love to hear them!
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
JohnSouthgate

Old April 5th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Option 1 sounds good as it keeps the functionality in line with the annotation box on the other snippet types. If a snippet requires several lines then you have the text snippet to cover that scenario. If you want to support multiple lines i don't think that option 2 sounds terrible.

Another solution could be to allow us to add pre-formatted text into text fields at the category management level. As having to type in and then format the 'fake' label for every entry seems like a massive waste of time for something that should be standardised across multiple topics.
JohnSouthgate is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 5th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Option 2 could work for those snippets for which you want a prefix.
Any snippet without a prefix would be placed flush with the left of the panel.

I can think of several cases where this would be useful.

Option #1 then just becomes a particular use-case for Option #2 (only putting in enough text to fill one line).

If I was using a multi-line snippet body, then I would most likely use a short prefix anyway.

It would be nice, with option #1 or option #2, if the break-point between prefix and main text was aligned on all snippets in the same section. (I would be happy with the break-point being different between different sections, since there is a header in the way to break up the flow of text.)

I don't see the prefix being a replacement for section headers. It mostly just to have some nice labels on certain snippets. I don't think the "visually ugly"-ness will really occur unless the wrong approach is taken by the person entering the data.

Last edited by Farling; April 5th, 2014 at 04:59 PM.
Farling is offline   #10 Reply With Quote