Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

Vampyre

Old February 13th, 2017, 11:03 AM
Hey all,

I was reading the blog post about the shop... And I'm a bit disappointed...

If I understood it right, if I want to buy something Paizo, I need to have bought the book before in their store right ?

Well, what if I have that book, but not from Paizo ? I think that is worth an explanation since I'm not talking about piracy.

I speak natively french, and live in Europe. So far, I've been able to translate anything in RW so that I could use it in my own language. Pathfinder, in my country (no, it's not France ), is translated by a third party. So basically, what I need to do is :

- either buy the full bundle so that I have an english version of the same book in french to get access to its content on the marketplace and translate it all by myself... (in that case, why buy it at all ?)
or
- either buy full price third party if it ever makes it translated, which I have my doubts.

So... It seems it all is a great opportunity for RW... but...

Did you guys thought about any non english user of your product ? We play each in our language, but we are penalised for not being english native...

Just my two cents there...
Vampyre is offline   #1
daplunk

Old February 13th, 2017, 11:09 AM
This is a paizo policy not a Realm Works policy. While it's important to let the devs here know how you feel you should head over to the Paizo forums because that's where you will find the guys who have enforced this decision on people.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2
Galymyr

Old February 13th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Here's the link to the discussion on the Paizo forums. Vic has said they are preparing a blog entry on this topic.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2u60u&pa...w-Paizo-policy
Galymyr is offline   #3
Silveras

Old February 13th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Vampyre, in addition to what daplunk said, it is also important to note that the requirement is the PDF version.. not a physical book. The purchasers of the physical book in English are also voicing their concerns if they did not also purchase the PDF.
Silveras is offline   #4
Toblakai

Old February 13th, 2017, 08:19 PM
I have read a lot of complaining about the PDF policy, but I have heard no one come up with a better solution... Currently I can't think of a better solution that does the following:

Pays Paizo for the IP
Pays RW for the data entry

They could have went the FG way and just charge full print retail price for the content. But instead you pay PDF price plus a smaller RW price which adds up to about the print price, so not only do you get the RW content but you get a PDF too. Win Win over FG and 5e.

There is also the added benefit if you already own the PDF you have a discounted price.
Toblakai is offline   #5
daplunk

Old February 13th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Yeah I've commented else where that this is really interesting. It is an actual attempt to do something that everyone has always asked for.

"If we have already bought the content we should not have to pay full price again for it just to use it in a different tool"

This is an actual attempt to fix that. They just can't do it with physical books.

I'm interesting from a business perspective. It's been fascinating to watch a real attempt to give the people what they want generate such negative commentary.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #6
Toblakai

Old February 13th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Yeah I've commented else where that this is really interesting. It is an actual attempt to do something that everyone has always asked for.

"If we have already bought the content we should not have to pay full price again for it just to use it in a different tool"

This is an actual attempt to fix that. They just can't do it with physical books.

I'm interesting from a business perspective. It's been fascinating to watch a real attempt to give the people what they want generate such negative commentary.
Maybe everyone they all were expecting just the RW price with no Paizo IP needing to be paid for. Or were hoping those pirated PDF's counted
Toblakai is offline   #7
Merion

Old February 14th, 2017, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Maybe everyone they all were expecting just the RW price with no Paizo IP needing to be paid for.
This.
Merion is offline   #8
AEIOU

Old February 14th, 2017, 07:35 AM
I think it's the double-dip by Paizo that caught people by surprise. They sell the PDF and they get licensing money from LWD. It just feels like the pharma pricing issues are spreading like a cancer through the rest of our lives....

It's a double-edged sword because if you don't buy it, they have no choice but to change the mode; or they just stop supporting it altogether.... Alas, the suits will choose no support and blame the platform for the failure rather than their greed.
AEIOU is offline   #9
Toblakai

Old February 14th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I think it's the double-dip by Paizo that caught people by surprise. They sell the PDF and they get licensing money from LWD. It just feels like the pharma pricing issues are spreading like a cancer through the rest of our lives....

It's a double-edged sword because if you don't buy it, they have no choice but to change the mode; or they just stop supporting it altogether.... Alas, the suits will choose no support and blame the platform for the failure rather than their greed.
There is no double-dip by Paizo, if people think that then they are just woefully ignorant. There is no greed by Paizo, I really don't understand how people can think this, it's just not logical.
Toblakai is offline   #10
Closed Thread