Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 20th, 2017, 05:16 AM
We're planning a rework of the tactical console at some point - it's a long-term plan, so not something that will appear in the next few months, but once we do that we'll be able to implement much more robust "group" actions (like applying damage to multiple creatures, applying effects to multiple creatures, etc).
Colen is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 20th, 2017, 11:01 AM
/squeel

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old February 21st, 2017, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
We're planning a rework of the tactical console at some point - it's a long-term plan, so not something that will appear in the next few months, but once we do that we'll be able to implement much more robust "group" actions (like applying damage to multiple creatures, applying effects to multiple creatures, etc).
Great news, thanks!

Even though, I'd wish it came a little bit faster, it's good to know you're at it.
Merion is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old February 22nd, 2017, 05:10 AM
HL's biggest weakness is its lack of features in the console.

It is handy and dandy but could be so much more.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 22nd, 2017, 09:28 AM
Certainly with the introduction of RealmWorks, GMs are using and relying more on the tactical console within HeroLab.

It would be nice to see a major upgrade soon so that people buying the new Paizo adventures on the Content Market can easily run the combats after loading the included portfolios into their "party" within HL.
Farling is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:05 AM
You guys can't do that now?

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:05 AM
Back in December, I had posted a list of potential improvements in THIS THREAD in the Pathfinder forums. Since most are Pathfinder-specific, I wont' list them again here, but I wanted to point out that it is there for Pathfinder users to add suggestions and comments.

EDIT: @daplunk ... I have used it. At present, it works well for Play-by-Post or Play-by-Email especially. At the table, the need to access each target separately when applying damage may be slower than some can accept, though.

Last edited by Silveras; February 22nd, 2017 at 11:07 AM.
Silveras is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old February 23rd, 2017, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
EDIT: @daplunk ... I have used it. At present, it works well for Play-by-Post or Play-by-Email especially. At the table, the need to access each target separately when applying damage may be slower than some can accept, though.
Indeed. I wish the UI was a bit easier to use. As it stands, I have to make a tad too many clicks, it opens new windows, when I want to add damage, adds a glass pane, so I can't switch to the monsters immunities when applying damage, yadda yadda yadda.

I'm not hating, just saying that one can see that HL is not a new program, but an old one that had a ton of additions over time. I bet the devs would design it quite differently, would they create the tool nowadays.
Merion is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 23rd, 2017, 01:29 AM
I agree its a pain for large combats but most small to average combats i don't find it to be an issue.

It does feel old and I personally feel they need to address that. The market is moving bloody quickly at the moment and part of Realm Works ability to significantly succeed will tie into Hero Labs ability to help DM's manage combat.

I would be sitting down and looking hard at Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 and trying to answer the question... how do we either supplement that experience or compete with that experience.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 23rd, 2017, 05:55 AM
Well, Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 are both VTT applications. Just as Realm Works is not a VTT and is not trying to be a VTT, HeroLab is also not such an application.

HeroLab has exports geared for both d20Pro and Fantasy Grounds. It is, unfortunately, only uni-directional.

For a player at the table managing one or perhaps two characters, HeroLab is a very good tool that does a significant amount well. For a GM managing a large combat, it also does a stellar job of managing current state for each participant. Unfortunately, there are several things it does not do as well ... such as updating multiple targets for damage or applying conditions.

Some of the challenges were discussed in THIS THREAD in the Pathfinder forums a while back, in the context of a proto-VTT application.
Silveras is offline   #20 Reply With Quote