Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Barwickian

Old February 7th, 2017, 08:43 AM
I have the print versions of an awful lot of Paizo products. Because I like having print and PDF copies, I bought have everything I have in print in PDF as well. Then I bought quite a few more PDFs.

I bought almost all the resources to use with Hero Lab. I fully expected to buy again for Realms Works.

While I can understand those who don't own the PDFs being miffed that they now have to buy them to get RW content, they are different products. You'll find the PDFs useful where you can't access RW - personally, I keep them on my phone, where I can refer to them during lunch breaks, or to ensure I only have to carry my CRB around to run PFS scenarios, for which I don't use Realm Works.
Barwickian is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 7th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoEvaX View Post
Yeah, I understand you have to deal with the whole process of licensing. Its something we all have to deal with. Can't really fight it too much.

I appreciate you guys (and gals) communicating with us about the process. Just going to have to keep my eyes open for PDFs I need when things are available via the market. Keep my wallet open too!
We appreciate your understanding and support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barwickian View Post
I have the print versions of an awful lot of Paizo products. Because I like having print and PDF copies, I bought have everything I have in print in PDF as well. Then I bought quite a few more PDFs.

I bought almost all the resources to use with Hero Lab. I fully expected to buy again for Realms Works.

While I can understand those who don't own the PDFs being miffed that they now have to buy them to get RW content, they are different products. You'll find the PDFs useful where you can't access RW - personally, I keep them on my phone, where I can refer to them during lunch breaks, or to ensure I only have to carry my CRB around to run PFS scenarios, for which I don't use Realm Works.
I keep several on my phone/tablet as well. I love physical books but phones laptops and tablets are a fantastic resource for traveling and space management!
BJ is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old February 7th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Seems to me, this is a way to get a discount for material you already own in electronic form. I'm glad I don't have to pay as much for RW content if I already own the Paizo pdf.

Maybe other electronic retailers will come on board. It would be nice to link my DriveThruRPG and OpenGamingStore accounts, if it meant discounts on 3PP content for RW.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 7th, 2017, 03:08 PM
RealmWorks is geared at GMs.
Modules and Adventure Paths are geared at GMs.
Normal rulebooks are aimed at both GMs and Players.

Paizo makes some money by selling their PDFs. Money with which they pay their authors. If they have to share the cost of the PDFs with LWD (by having people only purchase adventures in RW) then the Paizo module writers get paid less (since they are only paid by Paizo).

Perhaps you should compare the price of a PDF + RW with the price of a hardback book from Paizo, since the cost of the hardback book includes printing and distribution costs which are not profit for Paizo (and so none of the money goes to the module writers). Although the RW would end up slightly higher due to the massively higher amount of work required to organise the data in RW compared to typeset and print books.
Farling is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 9th, 2017, 12:33 PM
This is bloody interesting...

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old February 9th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
This is bloody interesting...

Yeah, this tells me that LWD got a better agreement than FG. People who already own the PDF will pay less, no such luck for people using FG.
Toblakai is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 9th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Yeah I agree that there are two sides to this issue. The digital crowd are being well looked after.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old February 9th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Yeah I agree that there are two sides to this issue. The digital crowd are being well looked after.
The price difference between RW+PDF and MSRP will probably not be too much different if Dragons Demand is a good example. With the added benefit of getting the PDF.

I really like the PDF, even though I don't usually use it while running a game, I can read it on my phone at lunch or on a plane (travel a lot for work), last I checked RW is not available for Android yet
Toblakai is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 9th, 2017, 02:03 PM
For the three LWD previewed, the modules are a couple of dollars different between their RW+PDF price and the print price, and Emerald Spire is hard to judge because we don't know what will be included in the RW version and which PDFs you need to own. (For example: what do you get for maps, and does that force you to own the flip-mat PDFs?)

Physical only folks have to pay full costs either way, but at least you get the PDF along with your RW purchase. I don't think that's going to sway anyone who is already invested in using a specific campaign manager+VTT (if applicable), but it's another thing to consider.

Aside, FWIW: copy/pasting text and linking to the source is much better than screenshots, but if you must take screenshots of other forums you may want to narrow your browser window first.

Last edited by Parody; February 9th, 2017 at 02:25 PM.
Parody is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 9th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Since FG is routing through Steam, their material will be on sale periodically. And from what I could tell from forum discussions a year or so ago, they don't have a lot of control over when Steam discounts it or for how much those discounts will be.
AEIOU is offline   #30 Reply With Quote