Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

the0nlykyd

Old May 30th, 2017, 06:34 PM
With the absence of things like Storm King's Thunder in Hero Lab, is there a way to just make creatures from scratch in the UI for Hero Lab for 5e that can be used with the Encounter Builder? I use HL almost exclusively to manage encounters so missing key creatures for encounters can make things very annoying at times (though thankfully most creatures are available).
the0nlykyd is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 31st, 2017, 08:07 PM
You can make custom creatures, but I'm not sure how to use them with the encounter builder. Generally, I'm using HL with Realmworks. So I have the HL portfolios embedded in the scene or other topic in RW. Either that you have to manually import into your parties' portfolio file as an enemy. Either way you have to save your custom creature as its own POR file.

Not being able to access custom creatures through the encounter builder has not been much of an issue for me, but now that I'm using it more for setting up combats on the fly—yeah, I can see how that would be nice.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old May 31st, 2017, 08:44 PM
Yes this is possible.

Create them using the Custom Monster Race into a portfolio. Save the portfolio as a *.stock file into your Hero Lab 5e folder. Reload Hero Lab and they will be usable.

Alternatively, use Realm Works. Save the Hero Lab snippet straight into the Realm Works snippet for that monster. Then you just use Realm Works at the table and click the integrate button at the table to send the monster into Hero Lab for combat Management.

I basically don't use the Encounter Builder options within Hero Lab.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote