Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Helper.Helper means "you can't purchase this" not "disable this".
Mathias is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Helper.Helper means "you can't purchase this" not "disable this".
I think that's what I want it to do, though. Hide the feat (unpurchasable if such a word exists) unless a different feat is taken. When I add the tag Helper.Helper through the tag button in the editor, the feat disappears. This is what I am looking for, but with an if statement involved.
Sendric is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Scripts don't run until something's been purchased, so you can only assign that tag permanently, not with a script.

If this requires the presence of another feat, why not just use an exprreq?
Mathias is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Scripts don't run until something's been purchased, so you can only assign that tag permanently, not with a script.

If this requires the presence of another feat, why not just use an exprreq?
I was trying to set up a second feat of the same name that appears only when the first is selected. The reasoning was because the feat bootstraps both the special that bootstraps the tentacle attack but also the Improved Grab special ability. I realized that if you take the feat four times, then the Imp Grab special appears four times in the Specials Tab. I thought I could get around this by making a second feat of the same name that appears when the first is taken (and then disappears because of the "Add Once" feature). The whole process would be invisible to the user, but it would appear as though the same feat was being taken. Does that make sense?

BTW, I noticed a similar script you provided some time back that does a similar thing. Its in the thread Adding New Mounts. That's why I thought it might work.
Sendric is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I'd use the Special tab to create the helper item, rather than making it a feat. There's nowhere to directly purchase specials, so you don't have to worry about making it un-purchasable.
Mathias is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Alright. I'll take another run at this tomorrow. Thanks.
Sendric is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 29th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Ok, fixed that issue. Made a special that bootstraps the Improved Grab ability. Made it Unique, and bootstrapped it to the feat. That was a lot easier than I was originally making it out to be. Still trying to figure out how to accomplish Aaron's earlier suggestion:

Quote:
2 - Have each of the feats add +1 to the value of the helper that bootstraps the natural attacks. Then have an eval script on that helper that applies the same Value.? tag as it's current value to the bootstrapped natural weapon.
If I figure it out, I'll post it.
Sendric is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 29th, 2012, 07:11 AM
The value he's referring to is a field on the helper - you can have your feats add to that field.
Mathias is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 29th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Quote:
The value he's referring to is a field on the helper - you can have your feats add to that field.
Yea, I've got that part. I just haven't figure out how to modify it yet. I'm sure its simple, but I'm just not seeing it.

Update: Ok, I'm on the right track now. I took a look at the hydra and used that as my template. Just need to do one more thing now.

Here's what I did. In the feat, I used this eval script:

Code:
hero.childfound[xIllGTent].field[Value].value += 1
In the special "helper", I used this eval script (Update 2: Removed foreach loop since it was unnecessary, but it didn't really change anything except it only applies to the original tentacle attack that was added):

With foreach loop:
Code:
  foreach pick in hero from BaseNatWep where "IsWeapon.wTentacle"
  var bonus as number
  bonus = hero.child[xIllGTent].field[Value].value

perform eachpick.delete[Value.?]
  perform eachpick.assignstr["Value." & bonus]
  nexteach
Without foreach loop:
Code:
 var bonus as number
  bonus = hero.child[xIllGTent].field[Value].value

perform hero.childfound[wTentacle].delete[Value.?]
  perform hero.childfound[wTentacle].assignstr["Value." & bonus]
Doing both of these changes the Tentacle attack in the weapons tab as desired, so for each instance of the feat, it increases from Tentacle to Tentacle x2, Tentacle x3, etc.

However, this does not resolve the issue of the Tentacle attack appearing separately in the weapons tab each time you take the feat. If I set the special to "Unique" as I did with the one that bootstraps Improved Grab, it fixes the problem, but I get the following error:

Quote:
"Cannot reliably access bootstrap source for unique pick 'xIllGTent'
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'BaseNatWep' (Eval Script '#1') near line 35"
This error appears each time you add or remove the feat, so its not really practical even though it does resolve the problem. Any thoughts on how to resolve this? My initial thought is to do something similar with the value tag, but applying it to the feat instead. Not sure if that'll work.

Note: Looks like this error was encountered previously here. No solution was provided that doesn't bring us back to having the feat listed twice.

Last edited by Sendric; February 29th, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Sendric is offline   #19 Reply With Quote