Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

will9k

Old April 30th, 2018, 10:32 PM
I do not post to forums very often, but I have been requested by my gaming group to make this post as the person who first introduced our group to Hero Lab.

Our group is a mostly stable gaming group with 5 or 6 players who get together almost every Saturday and play for the day. For the most part we use Hero Lab for character generation and updating, with a VTT to handle mapping.

Everyone has a copy of Hero Lab and adds updates to it as needed. GMs have larger needs of course, but even the players have a lot of things for Hero Lab.

We play Pathfinder, lots and lots of Pathfinder. Then a few weeks ago I started to look at the new Starfinder. Interesting concept and we already have a lot of knowledge about the game system.

Then I tried to buy Starfinder for Hero Lab, and crashed into the recent split between Hero Lab Online and Hero Lab (classic?). The group talked about it for a few hours, and the conclusion was a unanimous refusal to move to HLO.

Everyone balked hard at ANOTHER monthly fee, even knowing that it's not expensive. We have played for more than 5 years now and expect to play for many more years. 5 years of ownership on 6 subscriptions to HLO made everyone grumble about the cost.

We hope to see Starfinder added to HLC someday, but until then we will either use other products to make characters or just not play any Starfinder.

WLP, Monterey Gaming Group.
will9k is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
vardeman

Old May 1st, 2018, 11:39 AM
^^This^^
vardeman is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old May 1st, 2018, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardeman View Post
^^This^^
^^^ Not This ^^^ :P
Toblakai is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
vardeman

Old May 1st, 2018, 12:36 PM
The reason LW "said" they "couldn't do" Starfinder for HLC was because of the starships. Still not seeing any starships. What I need HL to do for me is character & NPC creation and tracking. Which HLC handles just fine. I've tested the "Production" version of HLO and there's nothing there that HLC couldn't do. It should still be in beta until they've added the promised functionality.
vardeman is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old May 1st, 2018, 03:59 PM
It's perfectly functional for players, they were clear through the whole process that they were going to push out the functionality to let players get in and start playing the game and then build it up from there. I'd wager there is plenty happening in the background preparing the back-end for functionality that we will look back on a few years from now and wonder how we ever survived without it.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
VideoGeek

Old July 1st, 2018, 07:45 AM
I just want some character creation for Starfinder in HLC. I don't use the program at the table the vast majority of the time. Alas, Lone Wolf has decided that I am a relic of the past that they can't monetize, and so I just use Hero Lab a lot less than I once did. C'est la Vie.
VideoGeek is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Monkey God

Old July 7th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Has anyone in the community done a data set for HLC, or is that off limits as it would be competing directly with HLO?
Monkey God is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old July 7th, 2018, 04:01 PM
There is currently no Starfinder data set for Classic. There is a "Starfinder GM Pack" in the Pathfinder Community Files. It is not a complete conversion - It has GM components for turning Monsters into Starfinder monsters /NPCs.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Monkey God

Old July 8th, 2018, 12:38 AM
I have the Starfinder GM bit. I’m curious as to why someone hasn’t created a data set for clasic yet. My question stands. Is it because it’s off limits? Do people just feel awkward making it because of HLO? Are the people who would make it just using HLO? Has no one gotten around to doing it yet? I’m just currious, not trying to ruffle feathers or anything.
Monkey God is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old July 8th, 2018, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey God View Post
I have the Starfinder GM bit. I’m curious as to why someone hasn’t created a data set for clasic yet. My question stands. Is it because it’s off limits? Do people just feel awkward making it because of HLO? Are the people who would make it just using HLO? Has no one gotten around to doing it yet? I’m just currious, not trying to ruffle feathers or anything.
It is mostly because it is a MASSIVE amount of work to implement all the required rules for a new game.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #10 Reply With Quote