Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MidniteArrow

Old April 21st, 2011, 01:16 AM
I am writing an app to use during gaming sessions. I'd like it to import character data from Hero Lab (we currently play Pathfinder). HL is only used by our DM, but he tells me that output is limited. So far I have identified two PDF formats, one that is highly marked up, and another that is a stat-block format. I have also identified XML output that seems to be for integration with d20Pro. The stat block seems to be the only thing I can use right now. The d20Pro, which is a XML format, seems to have messed up a few things. Initiative is not there, and the skills seem all messed up. There also does not seem to be enough information there to fill in the holes.

The skills values, which I'm pulling from the "misc" attribute, seem to completely disagree with the stat-block version of the same character. For example, in the d20pro xml, my Swim is -14, but in the stat-block, it is -5. Ranks are listed, but it is not listed if those ranks were taken as a class skill, nor is taking the rank tied back to which class you took the rank with. So there is not enough information to determine whether the +3 bonus for ranking a class skill applies for multi-class characters.

I'd much prefer that HL do all the work of determining what the values are and then the game-time app just displays it, does the rolling, and shows the game-time information (I don't want to re-write HL here, just fill in the holes - if everyone is going to have their smartphones out anyway, we might as well make use of them).

Are there any plans to output a robust XML formatted version of the character sheet? If there aren't, can you make them? My creativity is being stifled.
MidniteArrow is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old April 21st, 2011, 05:10 AM
If you are using the d20pro output, it is only set to d20 and does not work with Pathfinder so that might be some of the issues you are seeing. I think that LW is working on a more robust output for HL though.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 21st, 2011, 07:32 AM
Here's our company's State of the Wolf newsletter from earlier in the year - check the section on Hero Lab - it covers this topic.

http://wolflair.com/index.php?contex..._the_wolf_2011
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MidniteArrow

Old April 21st, 2011, 08:34 AM
Do we have an updated estimated release to market for the 3.7 release? That newsletter said the end of March. I looked around but didn't find an updated release date.
MidniteArrow is offline   #4 Reply With Quote