Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Nemesis

Old January 7th, 2015, 04:55 AM
I've been using RW for about five months now and with the upcoming Content Market I've been wondering:

As I understand it, Content Market will enable sharing content with myself, like duplicating a realm etc. Do I have be a cloud services subscriber to use that functionality?

I checked the FAQ, but it only mentions this in regards to sharing content with other users.

Sorry if this question has been answered already and thanks in advance.
Nemesis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old January 8th, 2015, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I've been using RW for about five months now and with the upcoming Content Market I've been wondering:

As I understand it, Content Market will enable sharing content with myself, like duplicating a realm etc. Do I have be a cloud services subscriber to use that functionality?

I checked the FAQ, but it only mentions this in regards to sharing content with other users.

Sorry if this question has been answered already and thanks in advance.
My understanding is that you will need to be a subscriber to use this feature.
meek75 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Nemesis

Old January 8th, 2015, 09:44 PM
That would be a huge disappointment. I have no use for the other cloud service features at my game table and do not intend to subscribe once my 6-months are used up. Having to pay $ 40.00 a year just to duplicate content I already have on my computer would seem rather pricey and would be a strong argument against using RW for me.
Nemesis is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Portilis

Old January 8th, 2015, 10:51 PM
I'd say that by not going for cloud subscription you will likely find you are missing out on a lot of what the software is designed for - you won't be able to share content with your players to the full extent, you won't be able to trade ideas with other GMs, and you won't be able to access any content available on the market.

It is hard to be entirely sure until the Content Market and attached items are released, but after the ideas mentioned in the survey I'm very much looking forward to it, and at about $3.33 a month, it's hardly bank breaking...
Portilis is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Nemesis

Old January 9th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Well, I share content with my players the way I've always done it - by talking to them (and using handouts).

I've never been a fan of having electronic devices at the table (especially not in player hands, even grown-up and otherwise totally reasonable men and women suddenly start fiddling with a laptop or iPad once they get their hands on it) and I also don't like the idea of having my players stare at a screen the whole time, waiting for the next piece of information to be revealed.

Regarding the content market: I don't see its use for me as GM. I run nWoD with homebrew content and currently also a Shadows of Esteren campaign. None of these systems have that much actual setting material (NPCs, locations etc.), so what stuff in the content market would be interesting for me then? And using stuff other GMs have created? There's tons of blogs out there that put out superb content on almost a daily basis. I can just add this content myself, no need to use a gated software for that.

I was excited about RW as a campaign management tool, something to collect my notes and work on my campaigns, not as a "display" for my players. I've been using Scrivener (on Mac) for years as my go-to software for this and... well, I can move content between projects in Scrivener without having to pay for this functionality. Looking at RW, if I plan to use it for, say, two years, the price will already be at almost $ 130.00 ($ 49.99 + 39.99 + 39.99). And to me that's just to much money just to be able to share my own content with myself.
Nemesis is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old January 9th, 2015, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Well, I share content with my players the way I've always done it - by talking to them (and using handouts).

I've never been a fan of having electronic devices at the table (especially not in player hands, even grown-up and otherwise totally reasonable men and women suddenly start fiddling with a laptop or iPad once they get their hands on it) and I also don't like the idea of having my players stare at a screen the whole time, waiting for the next piece of information to be revealed.

Regarding the content market: I don't see its use for me as GM. I run nWoD with homebrew content and currently also a Shadows of Esteren campaign. None of these systems have that much actual setting material (NPCs, locations etc.), so what stuff in the content market would be interesting for me then? And using stuff other GMs have created? There's tons of blogs out there that put out superb content on almost a daily basis. I can just add this content myself, no need to use a gated software for that.

I was excited about RW as a campaign management tool, something to collect my notes and work on my campaigns, not as a "display" for my players. I've been using Scrivener (on Mac) for years as my go-to software for this and... well, I can move content between projects in Scrivener without having to pay for this functionality. Looking at RW, if I plan to use it for, say, two years, the price will already be at almost $ 130.00 ($ 49.99 + 39.99 + 39.99). And to me that's just to much money just to be able to share my own content with myself.
We haven't been told what the pricing of cloud storage will look like. If there is a month-by-month option it might make sense for you to purchase a month only when you want to share some info (even if you are sharing with only yourself). I hope there is some sort of option for those who don't plan to use cloud storage very much. Perhaps even a tiered system that is cheaper if you never access the content market? We will have to wait an see. Even the prices we are throwing around are only speculation (as far as I know).
meek75 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 9th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meek75 View Post
Even the prices we are throwing around are only speculation (as far as I know).
LWD's Realm Works Pricing Page says basic service will be $25 for 6 months or $40 for a year.

ObTopic: I would like to see them let you reuse your own creations without cloud service.

Last edited by Parody; January 9th, 2015 at 06:52 AM.
Parody is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old January 9th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
LWD's Realm Works Pricing Page says basic service will be $25 for 6 months or $40 for a year.
I didn't know that was out there. Thanks for the info. Well, presumably you could buy only six months a year. How often do you really need to share a realm with yourself? It's not ideal, but its something.
meek75 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Portilis

Old January 9th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I would like to see them let you reuse your own creations without cloud service.
One of the items listed in the survey was having multiple story almanacs for the same world almanac, which will be another potential way to reuse the world for those without cloud service if it gets implemented.
Portilis is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Portilis

Old January 9th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Hmm, I'd have actually thought the player sharing would be even more important for something like World of Darkness - not so much for during the game but for players considering politics and downtime work between games.

I definitely know what you mean with the electronic devices issue, though overall I've not found it a massive issue. You need to tell people when you are sharing something anyway, so they're no more watching the screen than they would be looking at their character sheet. Whilst I did have one player a while back who was quite bad for checking facebook/etc, I just blocked the site on my router for the weekend, which is fairly easy on most home routers, and the other players were as unimpressed as I was.

The flip side is that I've found that Hero Lab and Realm Works have massively increased the speed of things when run from the computer - any buffs and things just take a couple of clicks to add and you don't have to worry about trying to keep track of how everything adds together.
Portilis is offline   #10 Reply With Quote