Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

CSDeeds

Old October 23rd, 2013, 01:51 AM
With tablets running full versions of windows 8 getting cheaper and more powerful I was wondering if anyone had tried running hero lab on one? I've been running the app on an iPad mini but with apple announcing a big price bump for the new version of the mini I was considering a windows 8 tablet instead.

Any feedback on using one would be great. Basically the only reason I got an ipad was to run hero lab so I'd rather get a windows tablet if it would work as well as the ipad app.

Chris
CSDeeds is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:39 AM
I've run it on my Android via remote desktop to Windows 8 and on my wife's Surface Pro.

My biggest complaint is the buttons (for health and in-play item arrows) are way to small for fingers.

A re-skin with larger buttons would probably work, sadly no skins have ever been offered even though it technically is available.

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
CSDeeds

Old October 23rd, 2013, 08:10 AM
I gotcha. So still not really ready for a windows tablet then. Hopefully they'll get it fixed up to work well soon. Any plans on that Hero Labs peoples?

Chris
CSDeeds is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rogue_jm

Old October 23rd, 2013, 01:29 PM
I am running Hero Labs using a Surface Pro and having no issues. While buttons are a little small for using fingers, I find the stylus solves the issue with only minor glitches and of course you can connect a mouse and remove the issues entirely, but obviously depends whether that is practical for how/when you using.
rogue_jm is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
CSDeeds

Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I don't like to carry around a bunch of stuff with me to my games. I'd just grab my laptop if I wanted a mouse and all of that. When I run games that's what I use but when I'm just playing that's too much to carry.
CSDeeds is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
mikejacobs99

Old November 30th, 2013, 07:23 AM
would love to see an iPad-like interface for windows, either in the main app or a separate program.
mikejacobs99 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old November 30th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejacobs99 View Post
would love to see an iPad-like interface for windows, either in the main app or a separate program.
I know this is being suggested specifically for Windows tablets, but please, PLEASE, if this does get done, make it a desktop application, not a modern app. I use Windows 7, and I'd LOVE to have an interface of that sort. Essentially a character sheet with the same kind of digital interaction that the Hero Lab program itself has? That would make my VTT gaming SO much easier.

Even when (if) I switch to Windows 8.1, I'm still gonna want to be able to easily switch between applications, so again, desktop application, not a modern app, please!
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Xennhorn

Old December 27th, 2013, 06:28 PM
I run herolab on my windows 8 tablet fine, I have a secondary lisence for it great for taking it with me to my games night.. and no more pencil and erasers
Xennhorn is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
DorVLind

Old December 29th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I've been running Hero Lab on a Samsung Ativ tablet for over a year, with really good results. I can use the interface with my fingers, but I prefer the active stylus (came with the tablet) so I can use the mouse-over functions.

The Ativ has a long battery life, so I can get through 8-10 gaming sessions without needing to plug in.
DorVLind is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
overlord of doom

Old December 29th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_jm View Post
I am running Hero Labs using a Surface Pro and having no issues. While buttons are a little small for using fingers, I find the stylus solves the issue with only minor glitches and of course you can connect a mouse and remove the issues entirely, but obviously depends whether that is practical for how/when you using.

I have a surface pro as well, and it's pretty much what is stated above. Big fingers, little buttons.
overlord of doom is offline   #10 Reply With Quote