Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

masteraj1991

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Has anyone been able to put the Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Magic Item Compendium in Pathfinder Hero Lab? There are a bunch of cool things in that book that I'd love to have in the program.
masteraj1991 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Nanan00

Old July 21st, 2013, 10:58 AM
Not that I know of, Lawful G was working on one for 3.5 but due to how pathfinder stuff was coded it is not compatible with 3.5 and vice versa sadly.

You could always code it yourself, I have for several items and spells such as the Orbs from the Spells compendium.
Nanan00 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 21st, 2013, 11:28 AM
Yeah, sadly the systems are different enough that none of my 3.5 work will transfer over to the pathfinder files. Sorry.
Aaron is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Nanan00

Old July 21st, 2013, 01:01 PM
Aaron do you guys have enough info on the two coding systems listed out to where someone could make a perl script to translate from one to the other?
Nanan00 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 21st, 2013, 04:26 PM
I'm pretty familiar with both, but I know nothing of perl, or what sort of info would be needed.
Aaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
risner
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 21st, 2013, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanan00 View Post
Aaron do you guys have enough info on the two coding systems listed out to where someone could make a perl script to translate from one to the other?
I'm familiar with both and with perl.

I'd wager it would take longer to properly write a perl script to translate than it would be to translate.

I translated the Spell Compendium to Pathfinder via a perl script, but in the scope of things that involved very little changes.
risner is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:50 PM
To be honest, I've had to take many 3.5 things in the data files I created for Pathfinder and do extensive work converting things over. While I do feel your pain on this, as I too liked this book in 3.5, I honestly don't have the motivation to hand code that many magic items and go through the work converting them. It's been difficult enough making Forgotten Realms and Dark Sun work in Pathfinders rule books.

To be blunt, a single person working on this book, chapter by chapter, 40 hours coding a week might still take almost a year to do by themselves. On top of the item descriptions the scripting needs to be done on many items and that can take time to figure out. You're more than welcome to use the editor to Input the items and use paizo's 3.5 to Pathfinder conversion guide to do it, but I'd recommend collaborating with a group of people to get it done. That book is a lot of items for just one person to do. And it will require careful judgment on conversion work.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.

Last edited by RavenX; July 22nd, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
RavenX is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:59 PM
If you want my input on just how daunting the book was for me when I did it for 3.5, it was probably about 4 hours of work, most weekdays, for about 2 semesters. But that wasn't including QA, I'm sure a bunch of mistakes crept in whilst I wasn't looking.
Aaron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:20 PM
That's why I'm not as willing to tackle something so big Aaron. I'm well aware of how big some of the 3.5 books are in terms of content. I've got more than enough on my plate already.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:40 PM
Hey I don't blame you. Not everyone can have no social life like me!
Aaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote