Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

lafebagley

Old March 16th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I updated to v3.6 of the game and v3.4 of the MnM file. The program has been running perfectly since I first installed it on Windows 7 x64.

Now when I try to launch the MnM module, I get this:

When I click OK, I get the same error again.

I try reinstalling the MnM update manually (not downloading it from within the program itself but from the website), but that didn't change anything.

I ran this as Administrator and it launched fine. I've never had to do that before.

Suggestions?

Last edited by lafebagley; March 16th, 2010 at 04:17 PM.
lafebagley is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 16th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I'm going to guess that you have only downloaded and installed the M&M data files (and Hero Lab) a single time before this new update. :-) You've run into the dreaded black hole of confusion made possible by Windows trying to be helpful when you install something beneath the Program Files folder.

The root cause of this issue has been discussed in a variety of places here on the forums. In addition, Hero Lab behaves exactly like our Army Builder product with regards to this issue. Please see the following two threads for details on what's going on and how to resolve the problem.

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=9545
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=9340

My latest post in the second thread delves into some more subtle issues that could be at play given your description above. Please take a look at these threads and see if this gets you sorted out. If not, please let me know and I'll do my best to help out further.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
lafebagley

Old March 17th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Running it as Administrator does work, but I'm unclear on what's changed. Before the update, Hero Lab ran perfectly every time for me and I never had to run it in any kind of compatibility mode.

While running it as Admin is only a minor pain (an extra button to click to acknowledge the UAC, I think you guys should figure out what's causing this.

Having to run it as Admin is a workaround, but not a fix.

Thanks.
lafebagley is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
The error message appeared when you tried to compile a new set of data files. Once the files are compiled, they are simply re-used every time, unless a change is detected. Since you were silently running as Administrator when you first compiled the files (see the links I provided), everything worked fine. Now that you are trying to compile updated files and do not have Administrator privileges, you are getting the error.

This is definitely a workaround and not a fix. Please see the links I provided for why this is currently a problem. It's on our todo list to address.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote