View Single Post
daplunk

Old March 15th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
And for WOC to declare we are supporting Brix & Stix over that (having heard the same corporate doublespeak in exactly that phrasing ironically) just strikes me odd personally since it the pinnacle best place for them to reach the public in mass.... hummmm
Brix & Stix and Conventions are not even close to the best way to reach the public in mass anymore.

Non-Official Facebook Groups
Dungeons and Dragons 5e: 120,696 Members (And I do wonder how many people have left this group because it took over their feed, there's 5-10 updated posts every couple of seconds in here)
Pathfinder: 25,216 Members
Starfinder: 12,068 Members

TWITTER
Dungeons and Dragons 5e: 149,000 followers
Paizo (PF and SF): 39,000 followers

TWITCH
Dungeons and Dragons 5e: 91,647 followers
Paizo (PF and SF): 2,749 followers

On any given day through peoples day to day engagement with social media they can potentially communicate with 89,000 more people than GenCon managed and that's just considering Twitter. There's vastly less work involved and the nature of social media means the community drive a lot of the content leaving WOTC to focus on creating products to sell and managing licensing rights.

I think the reason they largely pulled out of conventions is quite clear. They are no longer as valuable as they used to be for them. I would challenge that conventions attract people who are already your customers and in a lot of cases attracts people from inside the industry or people wanting to be inside the industry. WOTC are focusing on mediums where they can attract not just original but new players as well.

The data suggests it's working. There is a distinct pattern in the data I have provided and patterns usually tell a story.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #43 Reply With Quote