Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Luck Bonus to all Attacks/Damage (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=14641)

AWizardInDallas November 17th, 2011 10:05 PM

Luck Bonus to all Attacks/Damage

What am I doing wrong?

~+2 to all Attack
#applybonus[BonLuck, hero.child[Attack], 2]

~+2 to all Damage
#applybonus[BonLuck, hero.child[Damage], 2]

I'm trying to apply a luck bonus to all attacks from a magic item.

Aaron November 18th, 2011 12:03 AM

Phase? Priority?

AWizardInDallas November 18th, 2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron (Post 65889)
Phase? Priority?

Doesn't work on any User phase with Priority set to 10000. I've tried each one. I also receive this error message.

Attempt to access field 'BonLuck' that does not exist for thing 'Damage'.
---
Attempt to access field 'BonLuck' that does not exist for thing 'Damage'.

Here's the full eval script; everything works except for the latter two items:

~ If we're not equipped, get out
if (field[gIsEquip].value = 0) then
done
endif

#applybonus[BonLuck, hero.child[vFort], 2]
#applybonus[BonLuck, hero.child[vRef], 2]
#applybonus[BonLuck, hero.child[vWill], 2]

~+2 to Armor Class
#applybonus[BonLuck, hero.child[ArmorClass], 2]

~+2 to all Attack
#applybonus[BonLuck, hero.child[Attack], 2]

~+2 to all Damage

Kendall-DM November 18th, 2011 08:42 AM

I know, at least for the d20 system, that there are no typed bonus fields for Damage. I've since asked that such be added, and hopefully in the future they will be. I can't say if Pathfinder has these fields or not, but from the error you have, it would seem that you are suffering from the same exclusion of fields that the d20 system does.

There is a workaround, that is not ideal. There is a BonLuck field on weapons, which applies BOTH the bonus to the attack value and the damage value. This would make the Attack thing's bonus you have listed stack with a weapon thing's bonus, even though they are the same (because they come from different sources). So, you would have to also either not apply the BonLuck to Attack, or you would have to subtract one from the weapon's attack. As I said, not ideal. Anyways, that's my guess on what's happening with your script, hopefully a Pathfinder expert can step in and give a more definitive answer.

ShadowChemosh November 18th, 2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWizardInDallas (Post 65903)
~+2 to all Damage

Correct as Kendall-DM says there is no BonLuck field on the Damage Thing.

You can see what fields are on a Thing. We now have a Video that goes over this actually. See THIS video about 4 minutes in it goes over how to see the different Fields/Value on Things which is VERY helpful in finding answers.

Hope that helps.

AWizardInDallas November 18th, 2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendall-DM (Post 65908)
There is a workaround, that is not ideal. There is a BonLuck field on weapons, which applies BOTH the bonus to the attack value and the damage value. This would make the Attack thing's bonus you have listed stack with a weapon thing's bonus, even though they are the same (because they come from different sources). So, you would have to also either not apply the BonLuck to Attack, or you would have to subtract one from the weapon's attack. As I said, not ideal. Anyways, that's my guess on what's happening with your script, hopefully a Pathfinder expert can step in and give a more definitive answer.

If I understand you right, that means I *could* loop through the weapon collection and add a luck bonus to each? Since I want to add a luck bonus to both Attack and Damage, would I still need to subtract anything? Sorry for my thickheadedness, man. I'm not sure I understand why I'd need to subtract anything. I found a similar thread (with script) where someone was trying to do pretty much the same thing, but with a Morale bonus instead and he had the same troubles.

AWizardInDallas November 18th, 2011 11:28 AM

Shadow is da Man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 65914)
You can see what fields are on a Thing. We now have a Video that goes over this actually. See THIS video about 4 minutes in it goes over how to see the different Fields/Value on Things which is VERY helpful in finding answers.

Dude! Awesome. I'll watch all of these! Thanks man!

ShadowChemosh November 18th, 2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWizardInDallas (Post 65924)
If I understand you right, that means I *could* loop through the weapon collection and add a luck bonus to each? Since I want to add a luck bonus to both Attack and Damage, would I still need to subtract anything? Sorry for my thickheadedness, man. I'm not sure I understand why I'd need to subtract anything. I found a similar thread (with script) where someone was trying to do pretty much the same thing, but with a Morale bonus instead and he had the same troubles.

You should not have to subtract anything. If you apply a Luck Bonus to a weapon it will apply that to both HIT and DAMAGE. Which sounds like what you want to do.

Also see THIS post about the videos and as it shows which one to watch 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and finally 4th. It will make more sense that way. ;)

Kendall-DM November 18th, 2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWizardInDallas (Post 65924)

You would only have to subtract from the weapon attack is you wanted to use the Attack thing instead for the Luck bonus, and also use the Luck bonus on the weapon, something I do as I expect at some point this oversiht will get fixed (hopefully). As Shadow says, you can just apply it to the weapon, and it will be fine. If it is an effect that can affect natural weapons, you'll need to iterate through those as well.

Kendall-DM November 18th, 2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 65935)
You should not have to subtract anything. If you apply a Luck Bonus to a weapon it will apply that to both HIT and DAMAGE. Which sounds like what you want to do.

Also see THIS post about the videos and as it shows which one to watch 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and finally 4th. It will make more sense that way. ;)

I was thinking of making a few videos myself when I had the time, but seems you've beat me to the punch. :)