Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Shadowrun

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 19th, 2020, 07:21 AM
The purpose of this thread is to solicit suggestions for what information you'd like to see added and/or organized/presented differently within the character sheet output for Shadowrun. You'll find separate threads for each game system, so please limit your feedback to Shadowrun in this thread.

PLEASE NOTE! We are not planning to make character sheets customizable in the near future, nor are we planning to make drastic changes at this time. So please focus on improvements within the current general framework within this thread - i.e. things we can hopefully address in relatively short order.

Thanks!
rob is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
sqrw

Old April 13th, 2020, 07:55 AM
Going to jump onto this one a few things:

First observation it's then SR5 logo on the sheets not the SR6 one.

Second, simply design, I know it has little technical difference but a nice looking sheet just well looks nicer and from my experience that makes a big difference. Genesis does a really good job at this, but there are other digital sheets that look good. I pick genesis here as a second example because I happen to have the same sheet in both laying around at the moment so comparing is easy but most SR6 sheets I've seen follow a fairly similar layout.

Tables. The way data is organised very much resembles the way it's presented on the web page but the way it is used is different.

Lets look at the two skill tables. First the generated sheet from HLO, second the same sheet from Genesis.

The HLO version uses 50% the width of a sheet for something (skills) that is one of the most essential information on the game. it also then splits that in two again between active skills (more important) and knowledge skills/languages (less important).

The Knowledge/Language skills are split into two tables in HLO and combined in Genesis. For me the split approach is a lot better since they're two very different types of skills and mixing them makes it harder to quickly find them.

On the presentation of skills. In English we read from left to right so it helps to present information in that order of importance or derivation. Genesis gets this right IMHO, it starts with the skill - if I read over the table it identifies what I'm looking for, follows with the attribute, then rating and end with the result of those two, the pool. It also comes with headings that identify each row. HLO starts w/ the pool followed by the rating and then the name. For me that is quite hard to read - the information I'm looking for (name of the skill) is somewhere in the middle of a row without any highlight that makes it easy to catch it. Both sheets list the specialization in a separate row below, that's good! Genesis, changes front and indents it which for me makes it more visible that I can skip it if I'm just looking for a skill, it also lists the resulting pool for the specialization instead of letting me do the math and finding the right number on a row above.

Attributes

I like that we don't see magic for a character that isn't magic, it cleans up the attributes, however we do get attack, sleaze, data processing and firewall in here that is kind of breaks that (matrix attributes should be their own section and only apply for technomancers IMHO). I still haven't figured out why there are box next to the attributes are.
sqrw is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
sqrw

Old April 13th, 2020, 08:00 AM
Status & Damge

I love that the rolls are all listed there w/ dice pool, again I'd move the order from pool before text to text before pool as it is how we digest information other then that perfect!

the -0.66 in there really confuses me I got no clue what that means.

Defense ratings I'd suggest ordering that above the rolls since the order in scenes is DR first then roll so going top to bottom there makes reading the sheet less jumping around and more, well in order. Without any separation between different DRs it is a bit hard to read, making it more table like and perhaps just doing 1 item per line might make it more readable, also again text first number later.

Attribute tests an resistances

It's really nice to list them! Toxin resistances gets the order right IMHO left to right text to numbers, however perhaps renaming it to resistances would make sense since it also lists diseases.

For the attribute tests again I'd switch the order from pool -> text to text -> item.

Edge

I'll not post a screenshot but two things I would suggest. First moving it below the attributes as it's kind of up there with that and second marking what the starting edge is for the character.

Armor, Weapons and cyber

They are good over all, I would perhaps suggest giving them a full line of width esp. with the ammo clips printed out as boxes but it covers all the important information and has them in a easy to digest order.

That's it for now
sqrw is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
bcgambrell

Old May 28th, 2020, 04:58 AM
I don't understand the "weapons locker" concept. But, as an improvement to the sheet, I would wish the sheet would show attack rating, damage, etc. for the weapons in the weapons locker.
bcgambrell is offline   #4 Reply With Quote