Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Merion

Old July 10th, 2017, 01:19 AM
There is some free stuff around already and the content market is to come sometime in the future.

I haven't played around with import or export yet, but what I gleaned from other threads is, that there are a few limititations to a realm once stuff has been imported. Like not being able to export anything or copy the realm or such. I would like to integrate a few things from pre-made content, but if I have sacrifice any priviliges over my realm, I'll refrain from that.

Could anyone please be so kind and tell me what exactly are the restrictions I have to cope with, if I import some things? And is there a difference between official things like "we be goblins" and player-made content like the 5e NPCs that have been posted recently? And if so, how do I know beforehand?

Any enlightenment would be very appreciated!
Merion is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 10th, 2017, 02:00 AM
The limitation that exists right now is you can't delete the 'Source' topic that is linked to the import. This has annoyed a few people who have imported content into their primary realm just to look at it. I recommend importing into a test realm first to see if your want the content first.

The stuff being made by the community doesn't have any limitations on exporting.

Proper 3rd party content will be protected in a sense that it can't be exported to create new import content. You can still import the content and make changes to it and work it into your realm.

Now as far as I know if you did make changes to content that was imported from the Content Market and then made changes and then exported it only the changes would be exported. Like additional snippets. Then if you were to import that export into a new realm that also contained the same content from the content market then your changes would update against the content.

Obviously the content market isn't here yet. So none of this is really based on use of the tool but instead snippets of information that we have come across.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old July 14th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Now as far as I know if you did make changes to content that was imported from the Content Market and then made changes and then exported it only the changes would be exported. Like additional snippets. Then if you were to import that export into a new realm that also contained the same content from the content market then your changes would update against the content.
Huh????

I think I'll wait until the Content Market opens to figure this out.
ruhar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 14th, 2017, 01:37 PM
We really have no idea.

I am confident that the original "Wild West" you can do anything you want with imported content but the images must not have been acceptable to someone, presumably Paizo, and a big chunk of the delays has been reworking the system to better protect their content. This is based on the statements made LWD and the changes made to RW over the last 6 months.

I would assume when the CM goes live there will be a level of restriction on imported content that many of us will find annoying. But if that is what it takes to get Paizo onboard...

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old July 14th, 2017, 02:44 PM
I have no problem making sure everyone is happy so they are on board. I know a bit about copyright from past work I've done, but I have also worked with a lot of people who don't understand it. LW has to protect themselves and the companies willing to work with them. I don't envy their task. Would I like to have the CM now? Sure I would, but I really don't want something that will cause big companies like Paizo to pull out or have a buggy program. Neither of them would be fun to deal with. LW making sure all their ducks are in a row and exterminated 99% of the bugs before releasing then we can be assured we have a quality product from a company who will be around for a long time.
ruhar is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old July 17th, 2017, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the replies!

As much as I would like to integrate a pre-made module, I think I stick with the community stuff for now.
Merion is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 17th, 2017, 01:34 AM
Good.. because right that the's the only option

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote