Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

GMTemplar

Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:37 PM
Just checking if I have understood this correctly. My license expires May 30 2006 but I have no interest in extending it now because I'm leaving the country probably for a year or so in June. I would like to get my license working again when I come back in ~June'07. If I understood the license mechanism right, I have to pay for the year '06-'07 too when I come back and want to extend my license, am I right? That seems somewhat unfair since I have no access to the program for the whole year. Paying for two years when I only can use it for one of them just doesn't seem right, or am I wrong here?
GMTemplar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
GMTemplar

Old May 16th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Umm, are there like any wolflair people present on this forum at all?
GMTemplar is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
harkan
Volunteer Data File Author

Old May 16th, 2006, 10:37 AM
there normally is but it looks like they r a tadge busy at the mo'
harkan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Spack
Volunteer Data File Author

Old May 19th, 2006, 07:33 AM
From what I can gather with the way the licensing works, you can do that, or let your license lapse and then start again from scratch when you come back, that way you're not paying for the year you're not using it. Looking at the example of a $12.50 renewal for a year, compared to $40 for a new license, you're still saving money by extending and not using for the year you're not there. Personally I think that's pretty fair - most other subscription software systems would charge you the full price each year, in the case of AB3 you'd still be paying less.

Dan
AB40k Site Admin
http://www.ab40k.org - home of the AB40k maintainers
Spack is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 20th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Sorry for disappearing for awhile. As I mentioned in another thread, my mother was in the hospital and I had to spend a great deal of time helping with her care for quite awhile after she was released. That derailed me from my participation here.

Your interpretation is correct. Even if you will not be using the product for a full year, then you will still need to pay for that year if you want to simply extend your license after you get back. As Spack pointed out, the total cost would still be far less than if we used a system like the other companies who worked this way.

There is no way that any automated mechanism can ever work perfectly for EVERY situation. There will always be the exception that proves the rule. You've identified the one real "hole" in our model. We chose this model because we felt it was extremely reasonable from a cost standpoint (as Spack pointed out) and because the number of users who fall through this "hole" is extremely small. Unfortunately, you are the exception that proves the rule.

When you return after the year away, take the newest version for a test drive at that point and make your own assessment whether it's worth the extension cost. There is no requirement to extend the license, so you're not obligated for anything.

Hope this helps,
Rob

At 04:37 PM 5/2/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
Just checking if I have understood this correctly. My license expires May 30 2006 but I have no interest in extending it now because I'm leaving the country probably for a year or so in June. I would like to get my license working again when I come back in ~June'07. If I understood the license mechanism right, I have to pay for the year '06-'07 too when I come back and want to extend my license, am I right? That seems somewhat unfair since I have no access to the program for the whole year. Paying for two years when I only can use it for one of them just doesn't seem right, or am I wrong here?
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote